Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you not have bike-bashing stories in the newspapers?

I don't come across them really, we don't have the same "us vs. them" narrative towards different groups in Germany, in fact politicians and local authorities go out of their way to prevent that if hey can.
It probably also helps that cycling is a fairly accepted way to get about.
Cycling as your main form of transport is seen locally as a bit eccentric...

Well I might as well add my twopence worth What seems to happen around here is lots of solo cyclists and some family groups i.e two parents and a child and looking at my fly byes on Strava majority are only doing under 50 miles I don't go much above 30 Well its so busy with all that traffic Laughter

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 3

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

A number of off topic posts have been deleted - I might have missed the odd one; apologies if I have.

Please stick to the theme of the thread - there are other threads in NACA to discuss wet markets, authoritarian regimes etc.

Many thanks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can't remember. Look on BBC news review of the day's papers that's where I saw it.
Did a search and couldn't find anything other than a reference to the fact that roads in Germany and elsewhere are being closed to make way for bike lanes. Doesn't seem to be happening in the UK, other than a speculative article in the Times that says "Roads in built-up areas may be converted into car-free zones" and road.cc saying Hackney council "could be the first in the UK to cut rat running traffic on neighbourhood streets [...] to help people walk and cycle safely during the COVID-19 pandemic."

So it doesn't look like it's true in the UK ... not yet at least. But it is a possibility.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...can-exercise-safely-during-lockdown-l2dp03v8m
https://road.cc/content/news/emergency-measures-stop-rat-running-drivers-announced-272655

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Guess or fact & if fact how do you know?

It's a fact; my brother is with BT and a recent email to staff confirms this, it says:
“We’re providing anonymised, aggregated mobile and wi-fi data to support Government’s efforts to determine the efficacy of its communications and countermeasures. “

Other providers will be doing the same thing. It's not readily verifiable by way of a link you can read for yourself but I'm sure any of the providers would back it up if asked directly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's a fact; my brother is with BT and a recent email to staff confirms this, it says:
“We’re providing anonymised, aggregated mobile and wi-fi data to support Government’s efforts to determine the efficacy of its communications and countermeasures. “

Other providers will be doing the same thing. It's not readily verifiable by way of a link you can read for yourself but I'm sure any of the providers would back it up if asked directly.
Another great reason to use airplane mode while cycling if you're not on-call.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not really surprising. My knowledge of this area is a bit old, but I know that as long ago as about 6 years ago O2 made such data available as a commercial proposition to organisations like retailers who wanted to understand footfall patterns and customer flows. E.g. https://www.decisionmarketing.co.uk/news/mobile-data-ups-morrisons-footfall

This was mentioned in the Saturday Times many weeks ago. Possibly even before lockdown i.e they were just interested in how modes/rates of transmission related to actual movement.

lane

Veteran
Mr lane (and a question for others worrying about this) may I ask:
Are you worrying because you yourself are vulnerable health-wise (or live with one such)?
Or is your main concern that these things increase general virus spread?

I think people should follow the Government guidelines it is not difficult. Ignoring the guidelines can increase the chance of virus spread either to me or others.

Top Bottom