Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Mr lane (and a question for others worrying about this) may I ask:
Are you worrying because you yourself are vulnerable health-wise (or live with one such)?
Yesterday evening while I was putting out the recycling bin, a cyclist came by me pretty close. My fault for not paying more attention, but she had plenty of time to see me, too, and hadn’t bothered moving over a bit. My wife was with me at the time (taking out the bins together is just one of the new ways we entertain ourselves these days – it's a bit of a hike), and wasn’t very happy; nor was I, for not being more observant. She is vulnerable. Me not so much, but you never know, as I am no longer in the first flush of youth, and the crime-fighting platoons of my WBCs could be better manned.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There is another reason for being concerned when others don't observe social distancing, in addition to concern about infection.

That's the rather picky need for everyone to follow The Roolz. I went outside for the first time in 6 days, for a stroll and to post a letter. Someone cycled past within 2m of me. I felt a twinge of irritation - not because I considered there to be any infection risk, I just thought "FFS 2m is The Rule. Can't you stick to the rules? It's quite simple". I was more concerned about them not playing the game properly than I was about any infection risk. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if we follow the rules a by-product is that infection risk is reduced.

However, there is a balance to be struck. The downside is that if taken to extreme it results in people misinterpreting The Roolz or inventing new Roolz (like the notorious "one hour limit" for exercise that may or may not exist) and then fulminating on social media or informing the police about perceived violations.

It also results in over zealous enforcement of The Roolz like the video I saw yesterday of someone with a megaphone insisting that a tiny tot out with their parents get off their little bike because cycling was banned in that park. The worst by product of this is when the police, who should know better, start overstepping their authority and inventing new Roolz.

It reminds me of when I was a kid, out for a walk with my mother. I saw a car make a turn without indicating. As far as I knew it was THE LAW that cars had to indicate before all turns and I was outraged, and suggested to my mum that we tell the police.

Edit: "Punctillious" That's the word I was trying to remember when I wrote this.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
There is another reason for being concerned when others don't observe social distancing, in addition to concern about infection.

That's the rather picky need for everyone to follow The Roolz. I went outside for the first time in 6 days, for a stroll and to post a letter. Someone cycled past within 2m of me. I felt a twinge of irritation - not because I considered there to be any infection risk, I just thought "FFS 2m is The Rule. Can't you stick to the rules? It's quite simple". I was more concerned about them not playing the game properly than I was about any infection risk. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if we follow the rules a by-product is that infection risk is reduced.

However, there is a balance to be struck. The downside is that if taken to extreme it results in people misinterpreting The Roolz or inventing new Roolz (like the notorious "one hour limit" for exercise that may or may not exist) and then fulminating on social media or informing the police about perceived violations.

It also results in over zealous enforcement of The Roolz like the video I saw yesterday of someone with a megaphone insisting that a tiny tot out with their parents get off their little bike because cycling was banned in that park. The worst by product of this is when the police, who should know better, start overstepping their authority and inventing new Roolz.

It reminds me of when I was a kid, out for a walk with my mother. I saw a car make a turn without indicating. As far as I knew it was THE LAW that cars had to indicate before all turns and I was outraged, and suggested to my mum that we tell the police.

Edit: "Punctillious" That's the word I was trying to remember when I wrote this.
This perhaps underlines your point about punctilliousness
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52230081

JPBoothy

Veteran
'We' cyclists appear to complain quite a lot I've noticed over time. When the the roads are packed with motor vehicles we say they are all utter tossers, on bridleways it is the dog walkers and hikers that infuriate us, and now that the playing field is thinning out we are turning on fellow cyclists. It will be interesting how long our new 'roolz' last when life returns to normal(ish). Just saying, that's all :whistle:

'We' cyclists appear to complain quite a lot I've noticed over time. When the the roads are packed with motor vehicles we say they are all utter tossers, on bridleways it is the dog walkers and hikers that infuriate us, and now that the playing field is thinning out we are turning on fellow cyclists. It will be interesting how long our new 'roolz' last when life returns to normal(ish). Just saying, that's all :whistle:
read vic's link; it's not just a cyclist tendency!

vickster

Legendary Member
read vic's link; it's not just a cyclist tendency!
It's a human tendency, when faced with a difficult situation which we cannot control, many people tend to focus on the negative and aim frustrations at others (especially the more half glass empty types)

We can't control the actions of others - only our own, so if we are unable to keep others socially distanced as we would like, then simply don't go out at a time when others may be around :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
It's nothing more than tribalism. Every group does it to every other group.

lane

Veteran
On BBC news website someone said he was talking to a friend 2m apart when a random lady turned up with s tape measure to check the separation was correct!!

Still think cyclists should not close pass me though when it is easy enough to leave 2m. Not going to carry a tape measure though.

vickster

Legendary Member
On BBC news website someone said he was talking to a friend 2m apart when a random lady turned up with s tape measure to check the separation was correct!!

Still think cyclists should not close pass me though when it is easy enough to leave 2m. Not going to carry a tape measure though.
Stupid bint...how on earth did she maintain her 2m distance while measuring? :wacko::wacko:
Personally, I would have told her to F off :evil:

JPBoothy

Veteran
It's a human tendency, when faced with a difficult situation which we cannot control, many people tend to focus on the negative and aim frustrations at others (especially the more half glass empty types)

We can't control the actions of others - only our own, so if we are unable to keep others socially distanced as we would like, then simply don't go out at a time when others may be around :smile:
I 'like many if we are honest' make mistakes and wrong decisions when going about my daily business, when riding my bike or, driving my car. What I find hard to accept is the sweeping statements that accuse 'all' of the cyclists/drivers/walkers and even white van men (or women) of being the same just because of a particular incident.. I am now going to really push my luck by saying that 'some' of the most irritating/selfish members of the general public that I have come across are CYCLISTS !!!

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Given all that we can’t control, one we can, somewhat, is keeping our distance; and it appears to be one thing that actually helps. (Apologies if that’s been said before - I haven’t read the entire thread, it seems obvious enough that it must’ve been.) By and large I’m not bothered by what others get up to, including cyclists.

God knows I’ve set enough tongues wagging over the years in my neck of the woods, given that I normally ride around helmetless, hands-free when possible, and wearing earphones (I take special delight going by groups of school kids being herded by horrified minders).

Top Bottom