Don't take cake into the office.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely adults can make up their own minds as to what to eat :rolleyes:
Grauniad nanny state nonsense

It's been suggested by the health watchdog that when there is a birthday or like celebration people don't take cake into the office. Colleagues might feel pressured to eat and could affect their diet and impact health.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...in-to-the-office-suggests-food-watchdog-chief

What do you think?

If they're implying that getting fat is unhealthy, that makes it technically fatphobic not to take cake into where you work. Therefore you should take cake into work. All the time.

Especially if I work there too.

(ETA: if 'people feel pressured to eat' in these circumstances than your office culture needs to improve, or the individuals need assistance in taking personal responsibility)

Last edited:
First, she's not a 'health watchdog'.

She's Prof Susan Jebb, chairwoman of the Food Standards Agency, whose remit is to protect public health in relation to food in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. IOW, make sure there's no salmonella in eggs, that restaurants and takeaways are hygienic and that the ingredients in food are what they say they are. Stuff like that.
Her comments in the Times Health Commission were made in a personal capacity and do not reflect the views or policies of the FSA (thank goodness!). See here.

She sounds like a 'right sanctimonious old cow' as my pal who is both a professional baker and a (now-retired) highly-qualified environmental health inspector said to me ...
ETA - I vote to take in cakeS of various types and different degrees of creamy and/or chocolatey-ness, with the addition of fizz (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) on significant birthdays.

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
‘Pressured’ ?……Codswallop ! And I think I have a better example if I’m honest:

My Boss is a military fanatic. He’s been known to bring guns and hand-grenades in to work.

However I didn’t feel pressured to shoot or blow everyone else in the office up.

Maybe I just have stronger willpower than most 🤷‍♂️ 😂

‘Pressured’ ?……Codswallop ! And I think I have a better example if I’m honest:

My Boss is a military fanatic. He’s been known to bring guns and hand-grenades in to work.

However I didn’t feel pressured to shoot or blow everyone else in the office up.

Maybe I just have stronger willpower than most 🤷‍♂️ 😂

When I still worked, we used to bring in standard, vegan, halal and kosher cakes - with the whipped cream and the ice-cream separate 'on the side'.
No-one that I knew ever felt pressured to become Muslim in order to eat the halal cakes, no vegan was ever 'forced' to pile whipped cream all over their vegan cake and no-one ever converted to Judaism in order to lay first claim to the kosher chocolate cake which Ruth always brought in - although I am surprised that no-one ever did, because that cake was to die for , and no, she would NOT share the recipe!

The only pressure that was around was the pressure in the whipped-cream spray can if someone brought one of those in ...

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
When I still worked, we used to bring in standard, vegan, halal and kosher cakes - with the whipped cream and the ice-cream separate 'on the side'.
No-one that I knew ever felt pressured to become Muslim in order to eat the halal cakes, no vegan was ever 'forced' to pile whipped cream all over their vegan cake and no-one ever converted to Judaism in order to lay first claim to the kosher chocolate cake which Ruth always brought in - although I am surprised that no-one ever did, because that cake was to die for , and no, she would NOT share the recipe!

The only pressure that was around was the pressure in the whipped-cream spray can if someone brought one of those in ...

I’d never fit back through the door if I worked in your old Office. And for that reason I’m out 🤣

Presence of cake isn't a health risk. Eating too much cake may be a health risk. Humans have the free will to decide whether to eat too much cake or not. Perhaps human willpower is the real risk here?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Having cake occasionally because it's someone's birthday isn't really doing any harm and saying it does undermines otherwise sensible advice. Having doughnuts every work meeting or eating loads of cake obviously is less sensible

Just like a couple of pints of beer now and again isn't an issue, but a couple of pints every day with your breakfast might indicate a bit of a problem

Top Bottom