Don't think a club is for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The only time I went out with a club it wasn't so much the "drop the new guy" approach that bothered me. It was a combination of the blatant disregard for other road users (swearing at road users who didn't cede their rightful priority to the group) and also the fact that the aim seemed to be how fast can we go at the expense of actually talking to each other. I can't say that everyone in the club I went with was obnoxious but it was roughly 75/25 in favour.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm not sure whether you're being sarky or not, but most people do like an average touring pace in a touring club like the CTC; the clue's in the name. Not everyone wants to charge about seeing who they can overtake and who's the fastest.
I was being serious - as I said the key to happy 'club' riding is finding a group that rides at your preferred pace whatever pace that might be. When a group claims that it will ride at the pace of the slowest rider, this concept generally only works with a low pace group such as a touring club. In faster groups this idea doesn't work well at all, so it's a case of finding the correct speed group.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So, another thread about people who had a bad experience or 2 due to choosing an inappropriate club to ride with tarring club riding on the whole with the same brush.

If you choose the right club for you, then the experience can be extremely rewarding.

When I joined my current club, I used to get blown out the back on club runs (~17 mph average), but they would wait or someone would pace me back (only got left once, on a chaingang, and that is what happens), they encouraged me and helped me and now 1 year on I am much faster and doing pretty well in time trials (Sub-22 min 10 mile TT's and sub 58 min 25 mile TT's), beating some the clubs long time time triallists.

The message is:
A) Find a club that has a philosophy that suits you (there will more than likely be one)
B) Stick with it!

redcard

Veteran
I come across plenty of rude and arrogant middle-aged men travelling up and down the cycle path with little regard for anyone else. So let's not pretend that those who choose to ride slowly are somehow guardians of all that is good.

yello

It seems to me that step one is an honest self assessment of your aims and desires. And then a realistic appraisal of what any given club offers. The latter maybe done in a simple exchange of emails or a phone call.

I remember when I joined my local FFCT club here (FFCT = CCT), I was asked by several club members if I wouldn't rather be in the FFC affiliated racing club. They were basing that entirely on my age (I was late 40s and retired folk join the FFCT). Thing is, I didn't want to race. I can ride quickly but it's not why I ride, and I'm happier to ride at the slower pace of my FFCT club (despite it sometimes being frustrating in honesty) than at the quicker pace of the sports club. Admittedly though, I'd had experiences in the UK and so was better equipped to make the 'which club' decision.

Remember too that you don't have to ride in a club at all. Nor do all of your riding with them. It's perhaps more sociable to ride with others but those solo rides are equally rewarding, for other reasons.

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
I may or may not be misssing something
I have almost never ridden with anyone else
Even in my youth it was unusual
MOst of the clubs are not near to me
The nearest I have found is the CTC group which sometime starts rides from Woking, I would prtobably go by train otherwise wpi;d have used 1/2 my energy before I started

screenman

Legendary Member
Every club I have ever had dealings with has many sections and rides each week, you just have to dig a bit deeper to find like minded people.

StuartG

slower but further
Your Local Bike Shop should have the low down on nearby clubs - they will be amongst their best customers.

It helps if you have a good idea of your capabilities on speed, distance & attitude (fun/sport/masochism). Group riding should enhance all three. An LBS can be a great matchmaker.

screenman

Legendary Member
I may or may not be misssing something
I have almost never ridden with anyone else
Even in my youth it was unusual
MOst of the clubs are not near to me
The nearest I have found is the CTC group which sometime starts rides from Woking, I would prtobably go by train otherwise wpi;d have used 1/2 my energy before I started

I can think of one very good mixed club that meets in Staines or very near too, also another one only about 5 miles away, again very mixed. Both these clubs have a very good history going back a long time.

Now you may be a total loner who enjoys your own company, nothing wrong with that, however if you ever feel it would make life a little nicer or you fancy some company, just google cycling clubs near Staines.

Personally I find it hard to dislike something before trying it, whilst also understanding others may well not feel the same.

Enjoy your cycling however, where ever and with who ever I guess is the best way.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you tried asking them about a shorter slower ride, or as the oldies in our club call it the wrinkly ride. Most clubs have many rides that are not advertised but are just held amongst like minded cyclists. I know for a fact and from personal experience that both clubs near you do have members who ride on slower shorter rides.

Sorry I should have asked what length of ride were you looking for.

Chris Norton

Just because they are not "club" rides does not mean there are no other opputunities to go out with other members. Go on a couple of rides, hook up with those who look really uninterested in zipping along and ask if anyone fancies a ride of about "X". Chances are you will find a few.

Berties

Fast and careful!
surely the definition of a club is a collection of like minded individuals,even though i ride with local clubs timing is always a issue,i tend to ride when time allows,early morning mid afternoon,
some riders local to me have set up a social ride, starts in a main group and then divides up to speed and ability 13 and 16+ mph averages,every sunday morning 50 km and wednesday nights,its backed by one of the local pubs,many of us meet some times during the week for more rides,no pressure,no name no fees just new friends riding,great mix of girls and boys,some of us are club riders as well
just a idea start your own group

Top Bottom