Don't think a club is for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I'm in the centre of Northern Ireland, and it's what I've come across in the past few weeks when trying to join a cycling club. My friend is a journalist for a local paper and he told me he had a difficult time trying to get local clubs to put articles in the paper about recent races or to attract new members. They just want to get on with their own thing without being too much in the limelight.

Come to the mainland there's loads of clubs here.

Chris Norton

Cannot believe that clubs don't want new members. Seems bloody odd to me.

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Could you ride, train or drive to Marlow? On a weds morning?

http://www.southbuckscycling.org.uk/thames/index.html

THanks for the suggestion - at that time of day I'd need three changes and it seems too much - If I cycled, I would turn back home once I got to marlow

For CTC there are some rides from Woking which is a little easier for train ride

Thanks for the mention of meetups - there are two slightly active groups there - with luck someone may plan another ride

I have found some skyrides I could do
Think my fitness could improve a bit too, not done much during the hot weather.
Just got a Cateye Velo wireless computer so at least I know what speed I am doing

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions

vickster

Legendary Member
I am guessing you don't have a car that you can transport the car in. You do seem to be in a bit of a CTC wilderness, maybe it's time to get involved and set up a group :smile: There is a Staines cycle club but they seem more hardcore

Skyrides are good fun and very leisurely :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
There is a Hounslow cycling club that meets at Staines bridge, or is that one too close.

Here is a list of the rides they do, most are reasonable shortish.

http://www.hounslowanddistrictwheelers.co.uk/club-runs/

screenman

Legendary Member
Ever tried joining a golf club? it is a damn site harder to get into a decent one than it is a cycling club.

I am sure some of you are correct, a club is not for you. But please do not put others off by writing opinions without first experiencing them.

screenman

Legendary Member
I will do whatever I think, slowly build up my fitness
I don't see myself doinng 50 mile + club runs every week - too much for me

So what you might be saying is club runs are not for you, or at least the very limited amount of one's you have found out about.

There is way more to belonging to a cycling club than just the weekend ride out's, I think you may have missed that point.

Top Bottom