Don't think a club is for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

But please do not put others off by writing opinions without first experiencing them.

What is it that is said about opinions? ;)

I think it easier for readers to be aware of that than it is to realistically expect people to give only experienced based opinions :laugh:

400bhp

Guru
Is that usual practice for some clubs??? I don't think I'd want to belong to such a club!

The one I used to belong to, yes.

Bloody ridiculous IMO.

screenman

Legendary Member
The idea is set way back in history, I doubt any clubs now will enforce the rule. Besides that, if they did how hard would it be to go along to a couple of rides or help out at a few events to get yourself known.

I take it you all know the historic reason so I will not insult your intelligence by writing it up.

400bhp

Guru
The idea is set way back in history, I doubt any clubs now will enforce the rule. Besides that, if they did how hard would it be to go along to a couple of rides or help out at a few events to get yourself known.

I take it you all know the historic reason so I will not insult your intelligence by writing it up.

Believe me they do.

I was chatting to the club sec. on my 2nd or 3rd ride. When I asked quite innocently something along the lines of "I'd like to join now as I've been out a couple of times and it seems good", the response was along the lines of "well, that's if WE allow you to join".

If you didn't get a secondee sig you couldn't join. More so, [your membership request] had to be ratified at a club meeting.:rolleyes:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The one I used to belong to, yes.

Bloody ridiculous IMO.

Which club? Some proper racing clubs that are more like "teams" do still operate like that, or where you have to supply your palmares to be considered for entry. Not sure how strict they are though, suppose it varies. I am sure that there is some cliquey stuff goes on, but I don't really bother myself with it.

Pretty much anyone can join our club, no-one is denied membership, however the club doesn't necessarily cater for all members/cyclists, the membership need to take responsibility for them selves and if there is a gap, people need to plug it, not rely on the stalwarts to do it.

spooks

Our main Sunday club runs usually consist of five groups, the easiest being circa 35 miles at 11/12mph and the hardest 70+ miles at 18/19mph with the others somewhere in between, plus there are faster chain gangs and other social rides at other times. I'm sure we're not unique.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but which club is that Dave? Is it Sotonia? I'm in Southampton and looking to join a club. I'm a bit nervous that I'll be rather out of place as a 27 year old female but that's probably just in my head.

Chris Norton

Our new "society" (no longer a club thanks British Cycling) is currently designing new jerseys in black, blue and pink so that they signify how inclusive we are. Nearly all of the female riders can whoop me in a sprint without even breaking sweat. Join, enjoy and kick butt when you can. :smile:

Mattonsea

Über Member
Sorry to jump in on this thread but which club is that Dave? Is it Sotonia? I'm in Southampton and looking to join a club. I'm a bit nervous that I'll be rather out of place as a 27 year old female but that's probably just in my head.
Hi I'm about to join New Forest cc, bit nervous like you but have been reassured by the club sectary that I will be looked after!! gulp

screenman

Legendary Member
Can you people who are nervous do 10 miles at 10mph average, if so then there will likely be somebody else in the club doing the same ride each week.

Remember everyone, clubs need givers as well as takers.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know it may look that way to an outsider, but you will find many members do not even own bikes. Do not be put off by what you see, there is loads going on behind the Sunday rides.

Our club have rides going out 7 days a week, some will only have 2 riders on them most of these will not be for the racers but for the club cyclist, which happen to be run at a very leisurely pace.

Next time I am down that way ( usually stay at the Thames Lodge Hotel) I will bring a bike and invite you out for a ride.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Quite frankly, I think that you are just making excuses, to yourself and others. This thread is now 5 pages long, full of encouragement and advice, including comments from those on the "inside" and you are no further forward. Maybe a club is not for you, maybe it is. Making excuses won't help you find out. Go and engage!

screenman

Legendary Member
Quite frankly, I think that you are just making excuses, to yourself and others. This thread is now 5 pages long, full of encouragement and advice, including comments from those on the "inside" and you are no further forward. Maybe a club is not for you, maybe it is. Making excuses won't help you find out. Go and engage!

This deserves more than just a like, it is a brilliant post.

Top Bottom