Don't think a club is for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Interested by this thread as I often meet people who want to join a club but are nervous of it and looking from the outside are unsure if it, club riding, is for them. I'm always encouraging people to do so and it's not surprising the majority just want a ride not to scalp every rider in sight. My club certainly recognise this.

I've been in three clubs, the first met too far away but the rides were glorious. The second I found myself stuck between the A and B groups. Couldn't stay with the A but faster than the B and the B group, which was largely composed off life long friends, would stop at least twice if not three times on a ride.

My current club, Chorley CC, was only formed two years ago. There are 3-4 official rides, Sunday run, often two different groups, a Tuesday fast run and a Thursday hilly ride. Only been on the Tuesday once so far and got slaughtered!!! I wasn't the only one though and we just made up our own little group to go at 20 instead of 24! Thursday hilly ride is organised for experienced riders to train a little and the newbies to gain experience, all climb at their own pace and meet at the top.

Most rides are A or B group but there are at 2-3 C groups a month and Intro rides monthly on a Saturday. Most of the Sunday rides are between 14-16 over 55-65 miles. Those who wish can TT or hill climb. On top of this there are loads of individual rides organised through Facebook. A typical post last night was:

"Anyone fancy an early ride tomorrow? Got to be back by 11 so earlyish start. Meet at 8"

I am not good at meeting strangers, I'm 59 and just enjoy riding. My advice to potential newbies would be:

1. Understand you have to make an effort to join and when you first join. The club should also be welcoming.

2. Chat to people, ask open questions and just listen to begin with.

3. Start with a ride which seems a little below you're own ability if possible. Appreciate that in a group the perhaps 14 you manage alone will easily become 16 average and 19-20 at times.

4. Suss out the group that suits you best, I think it should be the one that takes you just out of the comfort zone.

5. Remember the enjoyment is for all. Most rides will wait for the slowest but appreciate you have a responsibility to the group. If after a couple of rides its clear you picked the wrong group try another.

6. Avoid rides you know are beyond you or be prepared to be dropped. If you know you can't keep the pace it's better not to start that particular ride.

Club cycling is great fun and can teach one a great deal but it's like everything in life it takes a bit of effort. My wife was in and out if various tennis clubs till she settled in one that suited her - same thing, different sport

Go for it, clubs are good!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Getting dropped is not that bad either, people make a right fuss about it. You ride on your own when you aren't out with the club, so what is all that bad about riding home on your own if you get dropped? If you get a bit lost, so what, road signs are there for a reason! I have been blown out the back of a chaingang before, I wasn't the 1st to go and I wasn't the last, I have also fallen off the back of group rides at times too, it was a learning experience and I can probably sit in comfortably in the fastest of club rides now (although stuff like chaingangs with surges really does me in), but that would never have come about had I not put myself out there and got smashed to bits by the fast guys in the early days.

StuartG

slower but further
I think I've said this before - but the best advice is probably to be found at your LBS. Many are run by true cycle nuts. They service people from the local clubs and may ride with some of them. They can suggest your best 'fit' and suggest how and who you may approach in that club, whether you need wear a helmet or not, whether to pack sandwiches or an energy drink.

I'm a member of two very different clubs (though both match my 12mph/20kmh cruising speed). They now provide a worryingly large percentage of my friends and acquaintances ...

Sorry to jump in on this thread but which club is that Dave? Is it Sotonia? I'm in Southampton and looking to join a club. I'm a bit nervous that I'll be rather out of place as a 27 year old female but that's probably just in my head.

Yes it is Sotonia, we have quite a few female members these days and there are even women only rides. Sorry I didn't reply before, been touring in Spain.

sgl5gjr

There isnt a club in our town but some riders are in the club at the next town 6 miles away.........so....with the need for more Social cycling and all abilities...... I got a group together where we weekly ride out on a Thursday evening plus any other chance we can..... we keep a decent pace for the slowest in the group and end up at McDonalds or a pub for a chat and drink before splitting off to our own homes to finish.... Works for us

From what I've just read over the few pages It seems that I'm not alone in not finding people that ride at my speed which is between 13mph (winter) and 15mph (Summer) it seems, fancy mudgards making that much difference! So I have tried to ride with one group last summer and I felt though they were all about 20 or 30 years younger than I did have to work quite hard to keep up And so have gone back to riding on my own so can go at what ever speed I want and as far as I want to be it 35 or 65 miles.
I just can't see the point of struggling to keep an average of say 17mph ( just to get to a certian tea/cafe stop) if your not going to see any of the surroundings! plus spent 40 years dashing around the country seeing nothing but the job when I got there! I will stay one my own I have cycled with some people along the way and enjoyed it but most of them were not local plus once you start having a certian day you feel you've got to go out and be forced to enjoy it it becomes a chore! But then I am a grumpy and so I'm constantly being told by these tele sales people a very rude old man!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You could put yourself forward as a ride leader, then every one rides at your pace, i lead a lot of rides and i never get dropped:laugh: But joking aside the clubs i have ridden with were both looking for ride leaders i don't know how other clubs get on. But i have found riding with clubs you get to form your little groups and we quite often go for rides without the rest of the club. Think we are lucky down London way there are plenty of clubs to choose from, Good luck which ever way you go.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Well a year or more on from starting this thread, my average speeds have gone up. I have joined one or two group rides
What I find is that I can just keep up on the flat. On hills I fall back a bit not too much, but on the steepest hills I do fall back more and on a series of hills I do not have enough time I feel pressured

I need rides at 15-16 mph that are maybe slower in the tougher terrain
I would like to ride with some people, there is one ride I can join, though it is on a Saturday and not a Sunday so not ideal

Yes I do get slower in winter - it is not mudguards (don't have them), just the cold and extra clothing.
Given another year if my speed comes up a little maybe I might find joining rides a little easier
I have seen that some clubs have slower rides, but as far as I can see not round here

I enquired about joining a club about 6 miles from where I live, the fastest I can ride is 15mph, I was quickly put off when the replied that I need to be able to do 20mph to keep up on their rides, I asked if they had a beginners group but they said no, so decided it wasn't for me, was a bit gutted as I really don't like going out on longish rides on my own, gets a bit boring

screenman

Legendary Member
I enquired about joining a club about 6 miles from where I live, the fastest I can ride is 15mph, I was quickly put off when the replied that I need to be able to do 20mph to keep up on their rides, I asked if they had a beginners group but they said no, so decided it wasn't for me, was a bit gutted as I really don't like going out on longish rides on my own, gets a bit boring

Where are you? I really think there will be a club to suit you close by. It is not naming and shaming, which club did you talk to.

Leodis

Veteran
It confirms to me this thread why our club is doing so well. We have C rides on Sunday for speeds 12-14 B rides 14-16 and the rest, Saturday we have a social where all are welcome at speed 10-14 and other rides for newbies or slower riders, we also offer + rides to help riders progress to the next group if wanted.

screenman

Legendary Member
Out club has upwards of 200 rides per week, some only have one person on, but that person would often like company, we only advertise a few though. The rest you have to ask people about, the more you ask the more you find.

Sounds like it was a race team or race training ride rather than a club run if they only do 20mph+ rides.

Top Bottom