Don't use Travelodge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I'd just be thankful they relocated me.

Do they have to do that?

I like Travelodge!

Have used for many years as they are cheap, and bike friendly, usually the bike goes in the room!

The only time this failed was with the trike. They pointed out that it was a bit big for my room and it would be difficult to get upstairs!

... and then gave it it's own room on the ground floor at no additional cost!

wafflycat

Cunobelin said:
I like Travelodge!

Have used for many years as they are cheap, and bike friendly, usually the bike goes in the room!

The only time this failed was with the trike. They pointed out that it was a bit big for my room and it would be difficult to get upstairs!

... and then gave it it's own room on the ground floor at no additional cost!

Same here (apart from the trike, as I've never used a Travelodge when I've had my trike with me). The rooms are basic but clean, so you know what you're getting. The staff members at any of the ones I've used have always been polite & helpful. Used loads of Travelodges when WCMnr was doing time trials across the country and never had any hassle taking four bikes into a room...

When booking a room over the Internet, it's always been clear in the terms about the possibility of overbooking, but I've never arrived at a place to find the room(s) unavailable in all the years using Travelodge.

Dingerjsc

I know some similar big brand lodges take on short staying homeless on behalf of the local authorities.... Nice!

Hope they have a good laundry for removing eau de vagrant!!!

yello

Flying_Monkey said:
My, look at all the well-conditioned consumers who think corporate terms and conditions are the last word and de facto somehow reasonable.

That's another spin on it. A bit 'us and them' for my liking but, yes, there is a point in principle to be argued if you choose. I don't think it's up there on the scale of world injustices either though.

I suspect Philip didn't know Travel Lodge had this policy either. That's something that invariably pisses people off; not knowing, assuming something else and then having that assumption challenged. I didn't know, so I guess Philip's done me a service too! That said, I'd not take his council to not use a Travel Lodge. I'll just factor that extra bit of knowledge into the equation. Further, I certainly feel equally reasonable in disagreeing with the advice on the forum.

It'd be interesting to see if, in a year's time, Philip still holds to the principal or has relented, as many people would. Travel Lodge is no palace but it has it's place.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I try and avoid them but I realise it isn't always possible. The last meeting I went to in Newcastle all the managers stayed at a chain hotel - I find them too stuffy, often air conditioned with no opening windows. I stayed at a small B+B out of town for half the money with a fantastic brekkie and I got to play on my bike rather than sit around talking managemnt style bollocks until 4 in the morning. :becool:

Dingerjsc said:
I know some similar big brand lodges take on short staying homeless on behalf of the local authorities.... Nice!

WTF? :ohmy: So everyone who is temporarily homeless is also foul smelling are they? Oh please! That's just an outrageous statement.

So, do they remove the bathrooms and sinks when they get a housing dept contract?

Oh, and by the way, I've found that eau de roadie is deeply unpleasant, but I wouldn't go around making foul statements about all cyclists being smelly and hoping that hotels have good laundries to eradicate the reek would I?

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
WRT to the OP;

If they had shrugged, coughed and said, "computer says no", then I would fully understand your outrage ...

But it seems they made sure you were well accommodated and I suspect that if you were disabled or sans voiture, they would have paid for a cab for you.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
yello said:
I don't think it's up there on the scale of world injustices either though

Nor me. It's just another minor example of the way we are increasingly conditioned to accept corporate ideas of what is 'fair' and 'normal'... and pointing it out is a tiny act of 'everyday mental resistance', if you like.

Dingerjsc

Sorry bad kitty, i was being a bit too general with that statement! There are of course plenty of genuine temporary homeless out there who are fleeing abuse or persecution!

However there are also one or two dodgy ones too!! Evicted drug dealers, housebreakers who have lost their tennancy on release from jail etc etc.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Dingerjsc said:

It probably makes economic sense for the housing department and the hotel chain.

The profitable discount rates offered by the hotel chain will almost certainly be cheaper than the rip-off hostel charges.

I have no qualms about sharing a hotel with short term homeless.

Top Bottom