Door springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Quick OT question here - our new place has concealed door springs installed, and I want to remove them. They are the type that have two plates with a chain between them, one screwed on the hinge end of the door, and the other into the door frame. I assume there's a spring mounted inside pulling strongly on the chain, which causes the door to close.

Are there any traps to removing them, or can I just unscrew the two plates to remove the mechanism?

buddha

Veteran
Put a pin or a bit of wire through the chain, near the door side (if that's possible) to save said fingers.

Membrane

* Open the door as far as you can
* Wedge something in the chain so that it can't retract into the plate with the spring
* Close the door a bit so that the chain has a little bit of slack
* The door should now still be open enough to reach the screws
* Remove the screws of the plate that doesn't have the spring in it
* Pull that plate from the door/frame
* Then unscrew the other plate (leave it in place)
* Pull out the wedge (the other plate will violently slam against the other plate, those springs are strong!)
* Remove the combo

JamesAC

BentMikey said:
Quick OT question here - our new place has concealed door springs installed, and I want to remove them. They are the type that have two plates with a chain between them, one screwed on the hinge end of the door, and the other into the door frame. I assume there's a spring mounted inside pulling strongly on the chain, which causes the door to close.

Are there any traps to removing them, or can I just unscrew the two plates to remove the mechanism?

Are you sure they're not fire resisting doors which should usually be closed?

domtyler

Über Member
Just what everyone else has said, use ultra cautious mode when dealing with these lethal implements or you could find yourself thanking god for not taking all your fingers!

I think it only affects compliance with the building regs.

You can leave them in place and just reduce the spring tension all the way by unscrewing the chain a few turns. Itll make life easier when you come to reinstall them.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
mickle said:

You can leave them in place and just reduce the spring tension all the way by unscrewing the chain a few turns. Itll make life easier when you come to reinstall them.

D'uh ! I was gonna say that !

domtyler

Über Member
I thought that you only had to comply with building regs if you are renting the property out? I don't think this applies in a privately owned residence?

bonj2

mickle said:

I've got them in my flat, but the building and the communal hallways etc are maintained by a management company who also effect and maintain buildings insurance, which is in with the service charge, and they have told me that if I remove the springs it invalidates the buildings insurance (cos it's a fire door). But I'm allowed to wedge it open :biggrin:. However if you've got your own buildings insurance it probably doesn't make any difference, but just check.

the Building Regs have been changed, and door closers are no longer required in flats.....BUT,

BM, please heed this advice. Smoke alarms. Within easy earshot of the bedroom. Battery with mains back-up is best, but, if only battery, then test the buggers. Please.

Top Bottom