Doored.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Usual story, dopey woman opened her car door without looking behind.
Now I suppose you're expecting the usual, "somersaulted down the road, luckily I was wearing my helmet...'
Not in this case, I was wearing a pickup truck, snatched the door clean out of her hand, off the car, bent it a bit, and spat it into the kerb. Her front wing didn't look too good either. That's taught her a lesson.

Milo

Guru
seen that happen on the lea bridge road once twas a bit amusing

stevenb

I reckon the amount of numbskulls driving on our roads is growing rapidly.:smile:
Whenever I drive to work and back I always see poor driving (various forms of it) and tut to myself....and think...if I'd been on my bike what may have happened.

That'll sure teach her a lasson.:tongue:

Dave5N

Über Member
That's cheered me up no end!

I rode into a woman who opened her door on me about twenty years ago. Luckily I hit her as she stepped out. I was alright, she was a bit shaken and bruised.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Was there any damage to the pickup ?

A dozy cow did this to me many years ago. I managed an emergency stop and pulled up with my LH front headlight about 1" behind her fully opened door. She then gave me the evils cos she couldn't get out. I waited for an apology. With none forthcoming I gave in and reversed up to allow her to close the door before driving on.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Hover Fly said:
Usual story, dopey woman opened her car door

I was wearing a pickup truck

hehehe^_^brilliant

was it your winter/commuting one or your best?

I was once doored by a stupid fat kid. I had a go at him and some stupid fat guy - he must have been 20 stone - barrelled up and laid into me. "Stay out of it, fat boy!" I said. "I'm not fat, you're farkin fat" he replied to me. I cracked up laughing, as did the bus driver behind us.

Glad you're ok.

Keith Oates

Janner
It's good to know nobody was hurt, except the car, and it's fair to point out the careless/thoughtless act by the lady driver. However I suspect most of us have done equally stupid things at sometime or other and luckily got away with it so cut her a little bit of slack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

However much we may laugh at this, it would have been a lot less funny if the woman's arm had been crushed or even severed in the incident. Or indeed if you had been cycling - and were now posting this from a hospital bed - or worse. One wonders how much could be done to limit the effect of this type of silly incident. One idea might be to design cars with doors hinged at the rear so that they open towards an approaching cyclist (as was indeed the case on many 1930s cars). But perhaps someone will come up with a better idea.

col

Legendary Member
Or instead of the door getting ripped off,it could close on the driver,acting like a big guilotene(cant spell it)

Top Bottom