Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Two Italians banned: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/two-italian-cyclists-banned-following-doping-violations

The national TT champion Francesco Pesciaioli for evading a test, another for a banned steroid.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hair samples from 3 of 7 Bahrain team at TdF during police raid were positive for prescription painkillers, if I've read https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34549540/ correctly.

While probably not UCI-illegal doping, pundits seem to be using it to suggest "finish bottles" containing painkillers may be to blame for an increase in crashes near stage finishes. Some have asked about whether the riders had prescriptions and the legality of it if not, but I guess no one feels like publishing their medical records and the French authorities haven't arrested anyone yet AFAIK.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Gray area, if it is not explicitly forbidden then....
Bahrain had a VERY good season, they are visibly stronger than last year...

This TDF has been very special - fastest since 2005 when the unmentionable was in prime form. These are facts and not all can be accounted for by marginal gains and disc brakes

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Bahrain statement.
A spokesperson for the Bahraini-funded team said: “Team Bahrain Victorious and any of its riders have not been officially or unofficially notified about any findings related to tizanidine or other substances.

“The team would like to stress that the authors of the scientific article to which all allegations refer have unambiguously pointed out that tizanidine is not a prohibited substance in sport.

"The team is consulting legal advice about the nature in which this information was published during an ongoing investigation without the team being notified which has impacted the team’s reputation. At this moment, the team has no further comments

DRM

Guru
Gray area, if it is not explicitly forbidden then....
Bahrain had a VERY good season, they are visibly stronger than last year...

This TDF has been very special - fastest since 2005 when the unmentionable was in prime form. These are facts and not all can be accounted for by marginal gains and disc brakes
I think we all suspected that some teams were up to no good, I think this is evidence of the rules being stretched to breaking point

DRM

Guru
if rules are not broken then no problem ,every team , i dont care who they are will do all they can to win, IF and WHEN rules are broken then it becomes a problem.
I agree, but was under the impression that painkillers were banned substances, however it explains a lot regarding some amazing performances that we’ve witnessed lately.
Edit: Having read the link above it was found in hair samples, and isn’t a banned substance, wasn’t this why Richard Virenque sported a bleached hair do the year of the Festina scandal.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
if rules are not broken then no problem ,every team , i dont care who they are will do all they can to win, IF and WHEN rules are broken then it becomes a problem.
Shouldn't having prescription drugs without a prescription be against the rules? Shouldn't anaesthetising riders as they head into a dangerous sprint finish be against the rules? I am surprised if they do not already break some rule and I suspect the problem is proving it happened in that way on a balance of probabilities, let alone beyond reasonable doubt.

Adam4868

Guru
Shouldn't having prescription drugs without a prescription be against the rules? Shouldn't anaesthetising riders as they head into a dangerous sprint finish be against the rules? I am surprised if they do not already break some rule and I suspect the problem is proving it happened in that way on a balance of probabilities, let alone beyond reasonable doubt.
Should....but there not.So a bit of a non story.

DRM

Guru
It does make you think about some of the crashes that have happened this year, even if I was capable, which I’m not, I wouldn’t fancy battling out a group sprint feeling a bit woolly headed

Top Bottom