Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
This just seems like another reason to dump the whole TUE charade. If you've got an illness that means you can't make it to being a top pro athlete, even if that is occasional asthma, then it's time to find something else to do with your life. The system is far too open to abuse.

Hont

Guru
This just seems like another reason to dump the whole TUE charade. If you've got an illness that means you can't make it to being a top pro athlete, even if that is occasional asthma, then it's time to find something else to do with your life. The system is far too open to abuse.
The problem with that is you would be denying pro-athletes the same medical treatment that a non-athlete can get. Asthma is a potentially very serious condition. I can't see anyone signing off on a policy that could potentially result in a rider's death.

Agree that the TUE issue needs more examination though.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The problem with that is you would be denying pro-athletes the same medical treatment that a non-athlete can get.

No, you'd be denying people with asthma the opportunity to become a pro athlete. You'd have the choice between following your sporting dreams or taking the medication.

A bit draconian, perhaps, but you might find that a number of top sports people are suddenly and miraculously cured of their lifelong asthma problem.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Have to say, a lot of what he says rings true. Maybe there isn't the massive, systematic doping there was, maybe the sport - and the performances of some of the top cyclists - are more believable (and the sudden drop in performance of some is telling), but it's still hard to believe in some performances, and there are too many unrepentant dopers still involved in the sport

This seemed the saddest comment, though:
Jørg Jaksche said:
...I have to say in retrospect, it was a mistake to have testified. The USADA report wasn’t about truth and honesty and change, it was only about going after Lance. I am almost embarrassed to have been part of this report...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I find it hard not to think that was a totally pointless interview and easy to believe his views are still coloured by his own absolute acceptance of systematic doping as a way of life. I feel he misses the point entirely: Irrelevant.

Totally agree. He's judging the whole world by his own very low standards.

U

User169

Just saw @ItsSteveLovell's post in the punditry thread so had to look up the reasons for Henao's withdrawal from Flèche Wallonne...

http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/home/article/77343#zG6Fyrsvh7PeBKUA.97

Hmmm. So is this a result of new findings or just a follow-up from last year's investigation into blood passport irregularities? Either way, it doesn't look good. On the plus side, the team are apparently being open about the reasons for his withdrawal rather than churning out the usual vague stories of 'illness'.

I'm not inclined to be suspicious of Henao but I am slightly sceptical of the notion of 'altitude natives' having different physiology. Although it seems to be a well-documented phenomenon, so maybe it's a plausible explanation after all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_adaptation_in_humans#Physiological_basis

No further action to be taken by UCI in view of further submissions from Henao.

SWSteve

Guru
The Henao thing is an odd one. I don't doubt there's a lack of research into altitude natives, but it just doesn't all add up. It's like there are some big parts to the investigation that haven't been revealed.

I'm not saying there's something wrong with Henao's actions, I just believe this whole case has been odd from the start.

The Henao thing is an odd one. I don't doubt there's a lack of research into altitude natives, but it just doesn't all add up. It's like there are some big parts to the investigation that haven't been revealed.

I'm not saying there's something wrong with Henao's actions, I just believe this whole case has been odd from the start.
We'd probably need to know what the anomalies were and what the extra data supplied proved. A broad guess would be changes in various blood levels due to going from altitude and back which probably mimicked the same readings as blood doping in some way.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
We'd probably need to know what the anomalies were and what the extra data supplied proved. A broad guess would be changes in various blood levels due to going from altitude and back which probably mimicked the same readings as blood doping in some way.

Something like that, I expect. The previous research done will have showed how Henao just going back home, training and coming back down to lower altitude affected his blood values. And what they will have done this time is demonstrate that this time it was the same pattern and similar readings.

Top Bottom