Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
An interesting article (it's not every day you see that said about cyclingnews!) about an alternate view - which led to being sacked...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usa-cycling-dismisses-anti-doping-expert-over-unconventional-views/
I read the article and think that removing anyone with views which suggest "doping is OK if it's carefully controlled" is quite reasonable. We do not need people like that to encourage those who still persist with their ideas that it's OK to have chemically fuelled riders. The man's views are not "unconventional", they are plain wrong. Doubtless there are a few sports which would welcome his views, where the money is so big that they will do anything to avoid a "scandal" which might reveal their top performers are not entirely clean as they would like everyone to think.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not really sure precisely what Dimeo's views are exactly, but "OK if controlled" seems a fair analysis from a quick google. Perhaps it's more complex than that, I don't know.

However it's not his sacking that is really puzzling, it's why they appointed someone with these views in the first place. And then sacked them.

I read the article and think that removing anyone with views which suggest "doping is OK if it's carefully controlled" is quite reasonable. We do not need people like that to encourage those who still persist with their ideas that it's OK to have chemically fuelled riders. The man's views are not "unconventional", they are plain wrong. Doubtless there are a few sports which would welcome his views, where the money is so big that they will do anything to avoid a "scandal" which might reveal their top performers are not entirely clean as they would like everyone to think.
He makes no bones about challenging conventions though. As he says, he's an academic and part of his job is to challenge assumptions but as Dogtrousers says, knowing this, why did they appoint him.

U

User169

Decision expected today as to the Operacion Puerto blood bags can be turned over to the sports authorities in Spain.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Statute of limitations would mean nothing could be done, just names in the press
It will have an effect though on people's perceptions and the rider's legacy and integrity
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ope...to-be-handed-over-to-anti-doping-authorities/

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Riders? The really interesting outcome will be if any footballers or tennis players are named. I'd be surprised if we learned anything new with regard to cycling - only confirming the identities of the 23 cyclists, which we already know.
Yes, you're probably right. Do we know who AC was or is my ageing memory playing tricks?

Top Bottom