Doping in other sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Funny that but I don't recall "if you're not spent at the end of 90 minutes, you just haven't been trying hard enough" as their scientific conclusion, but I say this with all due respect,

but I see this thread is heading for we know best and I know nothing, so I'll take my anecdotal evidence, which is worthless in the face of so much overwhelming evidence of the wide spread use of EPO in football and bid you a fond fair well, (unless I'm quoted, then it would be rude not to reply ^_^)

Accepting that top level sport is a physically demanding occupation, and requires skill, talent, determination, dedication, there is always going to be the possibility that some people will take every opportunity to enhance their physical capabilities illegally. This does not take away the other requirements, but can allow stamina to imporve and the skill required to flow more easily. Which is one line of reasoning to think that the use of illegal substances probably happens right across sport, especially where there is big money to be made.

tigger

Über Member
There has been an unprecedented amount of injuries at Wimbledon this year. The All England Club have stated that the courts have been prepared in the same manner as usual. There have also been the early shock exits of a number of top players including Nadal and Federer. I can't help thinking this is some form of doping avoidance or cover up. We all know that tennis has a drugs problem and that the ITF historically has turned a blind eye and even made cover ups which would make the UCI wince.

Has the net closed in? Was random testing to be ramped up in the third round? Have these players already tested positive and the ITF has given them a route out to spare shame on the sport? Are these genuine injuries but a side effect of a particlar doping regime? I've not researched the individual injuries and I'm sure I'm jumping to conclusions. But... Something's got to be fishy?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...former-wimbledon-champion-lleyton-hewitt.html

resal

Veteran
There has been an unprecedented amount of injuries at Wimbledon this year. The All England Club have stated that the courts have been prepared in the same manner as usual. There have also been the early shock exits of a number of top players including Nadal and Federer. I can't help thinking this is some form of doping avoidance or cover up. We all know that tennis has a drugs problem and that the ITF historically has turned a blind eye and even made cover ups which would make the UCI wince.

Has the net closed in? Was random testing to be ramped up in the third round? Have these players already tested positive and the ITF has given them a route out to spare shame on the sport? Are these genuine injuries but a side effect of a particlar doping regime? I've not researched the individual injuries and I'm sure I'm jumping to conclusions. But... Something's got to be fishy?
Had one hell of a day, no news all day so switched the TV on and watched a bit of the red button Wimbledon to chill. What the heck is going on. I am glad to see I am not the only one with a cynical eyebrow raised. UKADA got permission to test at Wimbledon ? This is as bad as Bolt and his pals pulling out of the Jamaica meet the other week.

As an aside, the first match on the red button was Sharapova and a Portuguese girl. Now I am all for promoting women's sport, but somebody just has to tell them, this can't go on. All that squealing. It is as entirely unwatchable as McEnroe or Becker with all their gamesmanship. If ever there was a sign that the BBC are irredeemably lousy it is that they worship at the knee of McEnroe. I can remember watching Stephan Edberg go out in a semi to Stich. Absolute pure decency in every action on the court from the guy. Exactly how a sports star should behave. He went out without losing his serve once. Stich seemed barely better than Mr Roll-along-the-floor-I-have-been-hit-by-a-pole-axe-and-need-time-out-Becker. I think they were the prototypes for Klinsman.

These journos just don't seem to have a clue and that's what allows the drug cheats to pull the wool. Any decent journo would be able to get to the bottom of the story about whether PED testing was in place at Wimbledon.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
When Nadal went out, I made a glib remark in the office about how he obviously hadn't taken his drugs this week and got a lot of stick for it.

Me, a cycling fan, suggesting people in other sports use drugs. The very nerve of it!

Ho hum.

We ran a piece on Wimbledon last week in which there's a quote from a top pundit about how Murray has "suddenly bulked up" and gone from being a scrawny wimp to one of the game's biggest hitters...

This is purely down to how much time he spends in the gym, right? I'd be interested to see some numbers - and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I do. But I can't help the fact that the alarm bells started going off big time as soon as I read that.

t... Something's got to be fishy?

Has it really? I'm not defending tennis, which I'm sure is like any other sport but this is a pretty big leap. Are there doping tests introduced?

As an aside, I didn't see so and so this morning and normally I do. Something's got be going on right, I mean I see him every day......

When Nadal went out, I made a glib remark in the office about how he obviously hadn't taken his drugs this week and got a lot of stick for it.

Me, a cycling fan, suggesting people in other sports use drugs. The very nerve of it!

Ho hum.

We ran a piece on Wimbledon last week in which there's a quote from a top pundit about how Murray has "suddenly bulked up" and gone from being a scrawny wimp to one of the game's biggest hitters...

This is purely down to how much time he spends in the gym, right? I'd be interested to see some numbers - and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I do. But I can't help the fact that the alarm bells started going off big time as soon as I read that.

Murray has come out in favour of doping tests, don't mean nowt and as REO said "....talk is cheap when the story is good and the tales grow taller on down the line....." but in this case I'm not sure I can see it coming.

He did bulk up, consciously, spent some time improving his strength and stamina and if anyone remembers the game at Wimbledon in which he flat out ran out of steam when he was, 17 I think, will know why.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Christ Al-bleedin'-mighty!
Have I stumbled into The Clinic?

Hont

Guru
Some people have slipped over on grass and hurt themselves or aggravated existing injuries. Federer lost to someone playing inspired tennis in perfect conditions for that style.

I can't help thinking this is some form of alien attack.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Some people have slipped over on grass and hurt themselves or aggravated existing injuries. Federer lost to someone playing inspired tennis in perfect conditions for that style.

I can't help thinking this is some form of alien attack.

We're back to the football argument again - tennis is a game of pure skill where drugs couldn't possibly give you an advantage anyway...

Maybe I'm just a jaded old cynic because I've been following cycling too long.

BJH

Über Member
Mark me down as another cynic too.

First thing I thought when these results came out was that this defies all odds.

I wonder when the last time a similar group of early exits took place for a this number of high seeds in a grand slam???

Tennis has long been linked to doping but I would imagine a lot of these injuries are down to players reaching their physical limits in terms of hitting power and physiology, combined with the demands of playing on grass, rare these days and perhaps shoes which are no longer optimised for grass. You see players breaking down a lot at grand slams and it's by no means rare that the top seeds all go out, how do you think Virginia Wade won it?

thom

____
Mark me down as another cynic too.

First thing I thought when these results came out was that this defies all odds.
One should remember that 7 people dropped out before or during the second round yesterday in both womens & mens matches. There are 128 individuals involved at that point so it is about 6% of the total people - in that sense maybe not such an outlier but still notable for the number.

Top Bottom