'Doping' in women's racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blonde

We hardly ever hear anything about this. Is it as widespread? Does it actually happen less, perhaps because there is less prize money and prestige involved in winning races, or is it that testing is not as rigorous for women, or that the media simply don't report it as often?

Tetedelacourse

Less cash methinks.

Anyway, they'd all be testing positive for elevated levels of testosterone from what I can see.

monnet

Guru
Nicole Cooke once said (well she would wouldn't she?) that it's not there and if it is it's nowhere near the levels of the men's sport because of the shorter distances and a lack of a doping culture. The teams aren't run by ex-pro's with an in depth knowledge of chemicals so it doesn't penetrate down to the riders as being 'normal'.

I'll leave you to decide if that's a reasonable arguement.

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

If that is true, then maybe those who are bothered about doping should be watching women's racing instead. Wonder if there would be as much diffrence between men and women in speed/strength etc. if doping in women's racing was at the same levels as it seems to be in men's... hands up, who wants to volunteer for my experiment?!!

chris42

Blonde said:
If that is true, then maybe those who are bothered about doping should be watching women's racing instead. Wonder if there would be as much diffrence between men and women in speed/strength etc. if doping in women's racing was at the same levels as it seems to be in men's... hands up, who wants to volunteer for my experiment?!!

The teams in the race are smaller I think (6 riders) and the pace more like what us mortal men could aspire to achieving!

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

Tetedelacourse said:
Anyway, they'd all be testing positive for elevated levels of testosterone from what I can see.

Why's that then?

People have widely varying levels of the diffrent hormones, (and testosterone and other hormone levels go up and down at specific times of the menstrual cycle in women), so that's why it's all a bit arbitary trying to decide how much of any one hormone can be considered 'normal' IMO.

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

chris42 said:
the pace more like what us mortal men could aspire to achieving!

And us women!

Maybe that's why I am so interested in cycling as opposed to other sports - also, the women, at least, look sort of, well, 'normal', in body shape and fat percentage etc. compared to other scary and alien looking athletes. It is maybe something one might be able to emulate to some degree, rather than just being scared by!

Tetedelacourse

Blonde said:
Why's that then?

People have widely varying levels of the diffrent hormones, (and testosterone and other hormone levels go up and down at specific times of the menstrual cycle in women), so that's why it's all a bit arbitary trying to decide how much of any one hormone can be considered 'normal' IMO.

Sorry it was a poor attempt at a joke about manly sportswomen. :blush:You have successfully facted me into submission.:thumbsup:

Keith Oates

Janner
From what I've read, Nicole was giving a good hammering to a lot of the men when she raced in her club in Cardiff. She is even better now so I doubt there are many non professional male riders that could keep up with her and the other top ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris42

Blonde said:
And us women!

Maybe that's why I am so interested in cycling as opposed to other sports - also, the women, at least, look sort of, well, 'normal', in body shape and fat percentage etc. compared to other scary and alien looking athletes. It is maybe something one might be able to emulate to some degree, rather than just being scared by!

Sorry yes and you ladies

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think we need to give credit where credit's due. If there is no drug problem in Women's sport, it's because that's how they want it to be. And good for them.

This notion that any form of cheating, including doping, is only as a response to money and prestige is totally wrong. Some people will cheat to gain advantage at any level. If you are involved with organising even low key sporting event, there will always be people who fragrantly breach the rules. Even on 'fun events'.

It always amazes me to watch runners take short cuts through 'out of bounds' areas on orienteering events, or split up at controls or dump kit on mountain marathons, or ride along footpaths on mountainbike Trailquest events and then . . . don't even get me started about the cheating in sailing; 'the most complex sport with the fewest judges' . Yeah, and boy, does it show!

The commonest response to all this is the very magnanimous 'well, ultimately they are only cheating themselves'. But there are often kids in these events who see what's going on. And when they grow up and it's no longer just themselves they are cheating, can we be surprised that they look so indignant when they are caught. It's been 'normal' to them all their lives.

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

alecstilleyedye said:
i for one would be more than happy to watch the tour feminine. but not just for the lack of drugs in the peleton :thumbsup:

Me too! We only have free veiw telly though (already pay a licence fee, so we're not giving the buggers any more money!) so unless it's on there, I'll probably never see it.

MsMalfoy

Women cyclists don't need pharmaceutical assistance to give a great performance, all they need to someone to wave a pair of Manolo Blahniks in front of them and they'll conjour an extra couple of mph in a sprint finish.

Top Bottom