Double ended/ blind nails..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, have any of you used blind nails before and if so where did you buy them from?.

They'd be ideal for my capping rails but can't find anywhere in UK that stocks them..

Cheers for any suggestions, Keith.
images.png

classic33

Leg End Member

MikeG

Guru
Whack an ordinary nail half-way in, then crop the head off (you might need bolt cutters, depending on the size of nail). This forms a point of sorts. This solves two problems at once, because driving in a double-point nail isn't straightforward.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I've gone for some 3.5x 60mm galvanised nails, 66 meters of fence capping rail to fit.

Going to run a pilot hole through the capping to prevent splitting.

Those blind nails looked ideal but hey ho!..

@MikeG I may give this a go on a spare piece of wood and see how it works out. Should have brought my Snap-on Lineman pliers home from work!.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A trick a joiner gave me for nailing narrow beads or nailing within 10mm of the end of a strip is to hammer the pointy end of the nail, to take the pointy bit of the point off. This makes the nail punch through the grain rather than separate and split it. It works but i may not have explained it very well.

edit... this illustrates it. (one light whack is usually enough... the pic looks like three whacks)
image068.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom