Double Glazing - why does it mist up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
You can't see through the windows because it's dark (and has been for nearly 2 hours). :smile:

:laugh:

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I have a calor gas fire in my conservatory which will put condensate on the inside window, radiators wouldn't do it unless there is absolutely no air flow. Do the windows gave vents?

I can open the window slightly and then close the handle so yes there’s a vent

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
From my experience,the vacuum breaks down after about 10 years,then water in the air or water that pours down over the windows gets in. The number of people who expected me to be able to help when i had my window cleaning round i lost count of. Some even said i hadn't cleaned their windows properly when they saw the condensation was still there. :rolleyes:
On a side note,i've asked a window cleaner to come round and clean mine,but so far he hasn't turned up. One of the other residents here, after i'd told him i don't have a ladder so i can't do them myself said 'Well why don't you clean them from the inside instead". He meant if i cleaned the inside of the windows the outside would come clean!!:rofl:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
on the Plus side no one can see in. Saves on curtains.

Woah there, steady on.
That's why i don't have curtains. I'm high up, so no one can see in anyway.

MikeG

Guru
From my experience,the vacuum breaks down after about 10 years.......

Pay attention Accy.

Firstly, it's been stated a number of times that the condensation is on the OUTSIDE, not between the panes. Secondly, no vacuum is involved with double glazed units. (As an aside, that will be the real breakthrough, when a way is found to have an actual vacuum between 2 sheets of glass).

MikeG

Guru
..........'Well why don't you clean them from the inside instead". He meant if i cleaned the inside of the windows the outside would come clean!!:rofl:

No he didn't. He assumed you have "side swing" windows, which don't have a hinge. They have a sort of parallelogram movement which swings their outside edge towards the middle of the opening as it swings the outside edge out. This means both sides of the glass is accessible from inside for cleaning. These are generally specified as "side swing" rather than "side hung" for orthodox hinges.

Now, read that carefully and inwardly digest. I shall be asking questions shortly to see you've been paying attention.

MikeG

Guru
Well wot we on about den?!:scratch: I didn't read most posts when i dived in with my thought. If weez on about it being on the outside of the glass,just get a fecking blade and blade/wipe it off.:thumbsup:

Being able to solve the problem is not always everything. Some people have innate curiosity, and are interested in "why", not just "how".

Top Bottom