Double Glazing - why does it mist up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
This time of the year my living room window condensates up on the outside glass pane.

I live in a the middle of a small row of terraced houses and looking at the other 4 mine is the only one to do this.
Other houses have had walls knocked out so they are more open plan where as I still like to have separate rooms

Does anyone know why this is happening?
The living room faces north so no sunlight or warmth this time of the year.
My radiators are very old to be fair and the house isn’t the warmest I’ve ever lived in so could it be because the house needs to be warmer inside?

Being the expert on all things practical, I assess that it's broke.

subaqua

What’s the point
It mists up on the inside of the outer pane?

Then as screenman says it’s leaking . New glazing time. Not frames . Just the sealed units

PK99

Legendary Member
This time of the year my living room window condensates up on the outside glass pane.

I live in a the middle of a small row of terraced houses and looking at the other 4 mine is the only one to do this.
Other houses have had walls knocked out so they are more open plan where as I still like to have separate rooms

My radiators are very old to be fair and the house isn’t the warmest I’ve ever lived in so could it be because the house needs to be warmer inside?

If it is on the OUTSIDE it is not a problem.
if it is on the inside of the glass sandwich it is.

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/condensation-forming-outside-new-windows/

Slick

Guru
It’s condensation on the outside not between the glass panes. But I can’t see through the window because it’s so condensated
Windows working great then. :okay:

Slick

Guru
I have thought that to be honest as my plumber reckons some of the rads are probably older than me - over 40 years!!
I have a calor gas fire in my conservatory which will put condensate on the inside window, radiators wouldn't do it unless there is absolutely no air flow. Do the windows gave vents?

MikeG

Guru

If it is misting up on the outside of the glazing, and not between the panels, it is because it the outer surface of the glazing is colder than the surrounding air, and thus water vapour in the adjacent (external) air condenses on contact. This is an indication of an efficient insulator, in that there isn't sufficient warmth getting through the glazing to evaporate the condensation. I have noted this phenomena with our triple glazing for the last 25 years.

Adjust your heating levels to suit your comfort, not to clear your windows!

Edit: If you want to test this, you could take a hair drier to the inside of the unopened window, and apply some warmth for a few minutes.

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
If its not inbetween the panes it could just be the type of heating you have.

It's not the type of heating (see above), nor is there any way that any type of heating could affect this. It isn't the type that counts, it is the amount of heat getting through to the outside of the outer pane of glazing.

Top Bottom