Double the drink drive limit and still not banned WTF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
All I'm saying is that they're making him out to be extremely rich. He probably owns a few buy-to-let mortgaged houses and drives aruond in the cheapest Porsche they make. Not exactly loaded.

Finally someone who understands.

It doesn't really matter. He was successfully prosecuted for the drunk in charge of a vehicle offence. Driving under the influence was more easily defended in court - there were no witnesses to that offence and it would have to be proved that he was intoxicated during the drive. He was caught bang to rights being in charge of a vehicle while intoxicated.

The term "in charge of a vehicle" is key here. Was he in charge of it in the sense the phrase is meant? The car was stationary and the keys were not even in the ignition so he was not in any sense driving it.
If it was a camper van instead of a car, and he was in the back drinking wine with a meal he had should he be banned from driving or indeed what would be the issue?

I would maintain that "in charge" was meant to be defined as we would now call "driving" - being at the controls of the vehicle.

These days it would be fairly easy to get CCTV evidence of him driving to that spot but this seems to not have been done so the police are left with a drunk man in a parked car.

SD1

They don't need to drive. They drive for a living - that's different. No one has to be a bus driver or a taxi driver.
They drive for a living therefore they need to drive. Unlike the person in question. Someone does have to be a bus driver or taxi driver or how would you get to your dinner parties?!!

JoshM

What about an alternative arrangement. If it is important to be able to drive, don't jeopardise your licence. That one works for me.

Indeed. I have a very responsible job working with the public, including vulnerable people. If I did something outside of work that affected my ability to do my job, like being convicted of any kind of sexual offence or conning old ladies out of their pension, I would expect to never work in my field again if I were ever released. I wouldn't expect the impact MY choices had on my future employability to influence the sentencing. Why should professional drivers expect such leniency?

It's simple, don't do it.

SD1

All I'm saying is that they're making him out to be extremely rich. He probably owns a few buy-to-let mortgaged houses and drives aruond in the cheapest Porsche they make. Not exactly loaded.
£40,000 that would buy you a street in Burnley!
A few buy to let houses? Where? in London, He's a billionaire!
If he owned a few buy to let houses he wouldn't need to drive as much as he reckons he does.
So either very well off or lying about the distances he travels.
" drives aruond in the cheapest Porsche they make"
A dire statement I doubt a member of the "landed class" would use that one!

SD1

What about an alternative arrangement. If it is important to be able to drive, don't jeopardise your licence. That one works for me.
It works for lots of people. I am talking about needing to drive for a living he doesn't, taxi drivers do.

£40,000 that would buy you a street in Burnley!
A few buy to let houses? Where? in London, He's a billionaire!
If he owned a few buy to let houses he wouldn't need to drive as much as he reckons he does.
So either very well off or lying about the distances he travels.
" drives aruond in the cheapest Porsche they make"
A dire statement I doubt a member of the "landed class" would use that one!
A buy to let mortgage requires little deposit. Mortgage is paid from rental.

You don't need to be rich to build a portfolio.

It is the cheapest Porsche they make. Go into any supermarket car park and you'll see cars worth more than that. Really nothing special.

SD1

A buy to let mortgage requires little deposit. Mortgage is paid from rental.

You don't need to be rich to build a portfolio.
Loan to value ratio says both those statements are wrong particularly in the present economy

It is the cheapest Porsche they make. Go into any supermarket car park and you'll see cars worth more than that. Really nothing special.
Sorry mate but £40,000 is something special to me. I would bend over for ********* for that much money!!!

Loan to value ratio says both those statements are wrong particularly in the present economy

Sorry mate but £40,000 is something special to me. I would bend over for ********* that much money!!!
Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of money. But it's not a huge amount to make you loaded. If financed, even less so. I know plenty of people who have started buy-to-let businsses from savings/redundancies. They're not rich.

stephec

Legendary Member
They drive for a living therefore they need to drive. Unlike the person in question. Someone does have to be a bus driver or taxi driver or how would you get to your dinner parties?!!

I had a mate who was a bus driver, he would go out with us on a Friday night and not touch a drop as he was working in the morning.

If your licence is essential to your job then you should be sensible and treasure it like my mate did.

SD1

I had a mate who was a bus driver, he would go out with us on a Friday night and not touch a drop as he was working in the morning.

If your licence is essential to your job then you should be sensible and treasure it like my mate did.
Good for him

Top Bottom