Down / quilted jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've seen many online videos / photos showing the cyclist wearing quilted / puffer jackets in cold weather. Granted, these commonly appear on North American sites.

How effective are these as cycling jackets? I imagine they would be warm but are they wind resistant and breathable?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd have thought them completely unsuitable in the UK, being far too warm, and getting hopelessly soggy in damp or wet conditions, especially if down-filled. I do have a down jacket, and it's great for cold and dry conditions - eg walking round at -20C. I don't know about you but I'd not want to cycle in snow and ice at all, albeit doable with studded tyres - but even then cycling is too hot an activity for a down coat. By example I've cross-country skied in -20 and -30 (admittededly not often) and I didn't wear my down coat

screenman

Legendary Member
Not very washable we have found with some, as the filling seems to gather up in lumps unless done correctly. There are materials far better suited for our needs.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve just bought a new old stock Vulpine gilet with primaloft gold insulation, not worn it yet but apparently this type of insulation is excellent. I think I’d avoid down fillings, soggy feathers maybe isn’t the best choice.
As far as wind resistance goes, I would think that is mostly down to the outer shell material rather than the insulation.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got a down jacket that I got in a sale at Decathlon. It's at the thin, lightweight end of down jackets. It's way too warm for cycling in anything but the coldest conditions.

I have a thinly insulated synthetic gillet. It is a really useful piece of kit. On cold mornings I put it on top of my outer layer and remove it before the big hill. It is lightweight and compact.

I have a fairly cheap Go Outdoors thin insulated jacket that is very useful on cold, dry days.

Down is less suitable and the really thick padding is less versatile.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think a lot of the down looking jackets are made with synthetics, so they don't need all the special care down does. It is -11C here now, going for a high of about 0C. A heavy coat is a good idea when cycling in the States, as are these, which I have on my winter bike (Dawes Eclipse City).
1573212122958.png

And a good knit hat for under the helmet.

Adam4868

Guru
Not very washable we have found with some, as the filling seems to gather up in lumps unless done correctly. There are materials far better suited for our needs.
I stick my in the dryer on low heat for 10 mins and seems to come back fine.Its the thin sort and great for the cold.Too warm for cycling in.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Lidl selling ski wear from Sunday

freiston

Veteran
I find that my cheap (£20) synthetic quilted gilet from Decathlon is very useful whether it's worn over, under or without a (windproof or waterproof) jacket, depending on the weather. It's also useful for putting on and keeping the cold at bay when taking a break. I have worn full quilted jackets when using the bike when the temperature really drops but that doesn't happen often.

If your commute is short <3 miles, or you ride at a slower pace, or on an ebike and don't exert yourself, you can wear pretty much anything.

Just a reminder, that sporting cycling gear and technical fabrics are pretty much only found in car culture countries, elsewhere, people cycle in their daily clothes.

DutchReview_rain.jpg

freiston

Veteran
When our tumble drier died about 15 years ago, we decided not to replace it and we haven't missed it at all except for when I've wanted to wash and dry down or DWR items :sad:.

Top Bottom