Down tube gear shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Another small advantage of friction levers at the front is that it's much easier to pick up your chain without stopping if you do drop it
.....aaaaand you can shift a lot of cogs in one hit :-)

freiston

Veteran
My bar-ends are friction-front and index-rear. Up until then, apart from a straight-barred solid back and front mountain bike that I used to have, I had only ever used down-tube friction shifters. I would have to be stuck between a rock and a hard place to go to an indexed front shifter.

midlife

Guru
Suntour symmetric, trimmed the front mech automatically :smile:

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=4CB7E658-E09E-4950-A283-2787BEAC2BB0&Enum=104&AbsPos=17

F64D794C-8F8E-4B55-B2EA-CA161F156594.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I find that too. I have lost and picked up my chain and had quite experienced cyclists comment on it like it's a clever trick.

Of course a cleverer trick is to set it up correctly and not drop the thing in the first place ;)
Clever trick if you have to handle it - look around for a large dock leaf or similar. There's usually something handy:okay:

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

I don't seem to have the option of moving the left lever into click mode, a picture of the right shifter I know but where is the aforementioned device?

down shifters.JPG

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I don't seem to have the option of moving the left lever into click mode, a picture of the right shifter I know but where is the aforementioned device?

View attachment 363642

It's the semi circular wire ring. Give it a twist to switch between indexed and friction.

You will only be able to do it on the right shifter. Rear mech

Top Bottom