Down tube gear shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

My question relates to Shimano Dura Ace 7700 9 speed down-tube shifter. The bike has three front chain rings and 9 cassette. The right hand shifter moves, with a reassuring single clunk between all 9 gears, up and down the range, great!

The left hand shifter does nothing of the sort... is it the case that it is normal to gently coax the chain onto the next front chain ring without a click or clunk? Or have I missed something all together, or indeed is it broke?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As far as I can tell from looking at it in a few online shops, the left shifter of the Dura-Ace SL-7700 set is friction-only, so the shifter won't clunk or click. In other words, I think what you're experiencing is normal, as long as it's changing ring.

Also, you can move a little lever on the right lever to put that in friction mode too, which gives you the same gentle shifting and the option of easier overshifting to help you out if you stop in too high a gear. (I prefer friction - can you tell? ;) )

midlife

Guru
There was a set of levers that number up and down on a cam / slide to help with trimming, mental block but sure it was Suntour and on top of the downtube aero style.

iandg

Legendary Member
Index for the front derailleur is pants - friction's the way to go :okay:

Imagine you are on the small ring on the chainset and in the middle of the cassette. The chain runs nice and smoothly. If you then shift down to a smaller sprocket on the cassette, the chain can start to rub on the front deraillieur (FD). Wouldn't it be nice to move the FD over a bit to stop the clatter. That small movement to avoid clatter, but not enough to shift, is known as trim. Friction front shifters allow you to make this small trimming adjustment to the FD position. As a matter of interest, so do some indexed front shifters. And yes, I know crossed gears are to be avoided.................

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

There is of course a small down side... I now like to watch the front derailleur & chain ring working together whilst shifting.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another small advantage of friction levers at the front is that it's much easier to pick up your chain without stopping if you do drop it
I remain surprised how many people handle the chain to do it, rather than give it a go with the front derailleur, even people who have been cycling for decades. Anyone know why? Is there a downside? There doesn't seem as much prospect of jamming it as if it drops off the rear casette.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Its not always a good idea to try and use the mech to pick up the chain. Depends where the chain is and youll have to pedal potentially scratching your paint on the frame or scuffing up the crank arms. I stop if it ever happens, rather than chew the paint up. You can also force the front mech out of alignment.

It's called mechanical sympathy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only bike that drops a chain is the old MTB and it occasionally drops when changing to the granny ring under pressure.

The two road bikes don't drop chains but when it has happened I just stop. Especially the best bike as the paint job is custom. I've shifted back using the mechs on the cheap bike.

Top Bottom