Down tube shifter - friction mode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I’m just setting up an old Raleigh with down tube shifters. I’ve swapped the right hand lever (rear) to friction mode but the left hand one (front) isn’t having it. I turn the black dial (it’s really stiff) so the little friction triangle lines up with the indentation and then move the lever and it clicks back into SIS mode. Which is annoying as there are only two clicks and I’ve put a triple on.

There may be a knack to doing this - can anyone remember? Cheers.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Turn the black dial anti clockwise. You want the white marks lined up.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Turn the black dial anti clockwise. You want the white marks lined up.
I’ve turned the dial, but it keeps pinging back to SIS - I wondered if you had to rotate the little tabbed bit that goes between the lever and the frame or something. I used to swap my rhs on to friction when it went out of adjustment but not sure I ever did anything with the lhs. Thought there might be more to it than turning the dial. It is hella stiff though. I’ll see if I can take it apart - but as you say there aren’t many. Will take a look after I’ve eaten. Ta.

Thinking about this a bit more. Why would you need SIS on the front? You only have 2 choices so what advantage has SIS over friction?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Interesting. My dura ace 9 speed bar ends are only friction for front and switchable for rear. But it’s much easier to change rear. You just flip a d ring.
Same with my 8 speed bar ends - which might end up on this when I can find those little doodads that go where the down tube shifters mount and ask as cable guides. I know I have a pair somewhere!

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Anyway the bike is now complete. It’s1989 Raleigh with 531 main tubes (the cheapest one from the Lightweights catalogue) that I got for nowt of a neighbour moving house. Except now it has had its Exage stuff upgrade with a period correct 105 rd I had and a slightly newer 105 triple fd, along with a 90s Deore LX triple because I have bad knees. Oh, and some Ultegra callipers I had in the cellar too. They’re far too new really but they’re dual pivot so I’ve put them on. I’ve also swapped the 23s of unknown age for some new Luganos in 700 x 28.

Top Bottom