Down Tube shifter problem

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Reiver, 16 Apr 2018.

1. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

Shimano SL A-400 (front deraileur shifter)

Took this to bits the other day, clearly there is a broken bit but is there anything else missing. Cant really work out how this is supposed to function even if the broken bit was back in place.

with the broken off bit not included it still works apart from the fact I can push the lever too far forward, so the bike is still usable. but would like to know s there something else missing, or any manuals ?

shifter_5451.JPG

2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Is it for changing a double or a triple?

3. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Best option is to buy a replacement, they're not expensive.

4. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

double, so there is no indexing

5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

If it still works without the bit that broke off I'd continue to use it then.

6. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

but is there a bit missing ? I feel I have lost a bit but not sure what I'm looking for or even more frustrating I might be looking for something that has never existed.

7. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

00001136-00003.png

uphillstruggler likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

thats very different to mine

9. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

the only worry I would have is whether the lever would slip due the washer not creating the friction fit.

if not, continue to use it until you can get a replacement.

raleighnut likes this.
  10. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Shimano ex300 ?

by the look of it to me , might have a set at home so let me have a look tonight

raleighnut likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

Managed to get it sorted, in removing the lever without releasing the cable from the derailleur the mech in the shifter had moved hence i couldn't get it back on properly. (the end of the cable was frayed and I was not wanting to have to buy a new cable, if I removed it it would never go back on) I found a work-around, i just loosened the derailleur from the fame and that gave me enough slack to put it back together. The broken bit is captive, so providing its in place it works just as well as an unbroken one.

So alls good and well and its all now working perfectly, and no money spent (that always keeps me happy)

biggs682 and raleighnut like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice