Downloading a .gpx file into my E-Trex?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I am trying to get the 100km .gpx route for the HONC off the web site and onto my E-Trex

http://www.honc.org.uk/

But it will not load the full route and comes up with the error message on the GPS, "Route Truncated", coz its to large a route (to many waypoints) to send to the device.

So of course I need to reduce it, but without loosing any of the vital detail?

Now I have used WinGDB3 in the past, but its been that long since I used it, I cannot recall the best way to do it. :becool: I've tried several options, and non seem to give me the best choice.

I have also used EasyGPS, in the past, but I cannot remember how I did in that either. :wacko:

I have Garmin Mapsource loaded onto the laptop, so would it make any difference if I converted it to a .gdb file instead of a .gpx file?

Help..................:biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I have an Oregon so not these issues, but a chum has an Etrex.

Can you load it into Bikehike, chop it in half (there's a 'cut to end' feature and if you reverse the route and do 'cut to end' you can chop off the beginning too) and then load it in two halves - I think the Etrex has a 500 trackpoint limit so you can chop the route up into bits which fit within that limit. Though I might be wrong...

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
I have an Oregon so not these issues, but a chum has an Etrex.

Can you load it into Bikehike, chop it in half (there's a 'cut to end' feature and if you reverse the route and do 'cut to end' you can chop off the beginning too) and then load it in two halves - I think the Etrex has a 500 trackpoint limit so you can chop the route up into bits which fit within that limit. Though I might be wrong...

Well I've done something!

I uploaded the .gpx file into BikeHike as you suggest, then I saved that file as a course on the desktop.

Then, using WinGDB3 I converted the course into a track, then opened it in Mapsource and sent it to the device. I now have the whole route, but as a track, so its just a case of following the purple line now......I hope? :biggrin:

Unless anyone can suggest anything better of course?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if you upload it to bikehike then, rather than chopping it up, under options you can reduce the number of waypoints to below the etrex 500 max. simples.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
psmiffy said:
Iv just sent it to my Vista both as a track and as a route no problem

How do you decide in Mapsource how you are going to send to device then?

I thought that you had to convert the file elsewhere, then save it as a route or track before you could send to device?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
HLaB said:
If you right click on the route in Memorymap you can convert it to a track (operations/convert to track), then convert it back to a route it reduces the number of waypoints. Alternatively as a track there's another option to 'reduce points'.

Haven't got Memorymap I'm afraid, only Mapsource.

AlanW said:
Haven't got Memorymap I'm afraid, only Mapsource.
I found this on the web it might help you with mapsource

There is a 500 points trackpoint limit to saved tracks. You will need to trim it down in mapsource using Track Properties; or, rename the track to ACTIVE LOG before uploading to device -- there is a 10,000 point point limit in the active log

Transfer-send to device- tick "tracks" - I cheated with the route because I had also opened it in memmap for the screenshot (it was prettier in OS and because I was interested where it ran -near my mums)

The track is 584 points but it downloaded no problem on my Vista HcX both using memmap and Mapsource

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
psmiffy said:
Transfer-send to device- tick "tracks" - I cheated with the route because I had also opened it in memmap for the screenshot (it was prettier in OS and because I was interested where it ran -near my mums)

The track is 584 points but it downloaded no problem on my Vista HcX both using memmap and Mapsource

Yep, I tried that, and the tick defaults in the "tracks" box anyway, as well as the way points but it still truncates the route?

If fact to be precise it only saves 52.51 miles of a 61.6 mile track?

Top Bottom