Downloading Music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Based on how we consume music (and a number of other Spotify users that we know) the days of the album are numbered.

We have nothing downloaded (no point for us) and do not listen to albums. We simply build playlists that are titled according to occasion and mood etc and fill them with appropriate tracks from a multitude of artists. Gone are the days for us when you buy an album based on one or two decent tracks that you have heard and there ends up being more duff tracks than good ones on the album.

The other point is that the exposure on the streaming platforms is huge - far more than most new artists could get anywhere else.

At the end of the day no artist is forced to use a streaming platform.

You dont need a signal with spotify.....once paid the subscription, you can download tracks within spotify and play them offline. I do that when working out in the garden or walking the dog
I know, that was my answer to the 'why download' question, its a lifesaver.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Based on how we consume music (and a number of other Spotify users that we know) the days of the album are numbered.

We have nothing downloaded (no point for us) and do not listen to albums. We simply build playlists that are titled according to occasion and mood etc and fill them with appropriate tracks from a multitude of artists. Gone are the days for us when you buy an album based on one or two decent tracks that you have heard and there ends up being more duff tracks than good ones on the album.

The other point is that the exposure on the streaming platforms is huge - far more than most new artists could get anywhere else.

I don't think so. Artists like creating albums; a snapshot of their sound at a specific point in time... and fans of artists enjoy buying albums. Spotify and the like just makes it easy for consumers to cherry pick... but consumers like me enjoy the artifact of an album, and so do the artists making them.

Durango Bay

Listening to music for me means listening to albums. I know that less people are doing so and my kids don't understand why I have to keep getting up to turn LPs over but it is more than just a collection of songs, a good album has a narrative and as MontyVeda says it also captures a moment in time for an artist more than just one track.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Every November, for the last 11 years, the Grateful Dead archive has been releasing a free live track from across the years each day - that's 330 tracks to date, most at 320kbps.

Fortunately these have been preserved in a convenient location:
Grateful Dead 30-Day Archive

jerry-greek-82-2-250.jpg

SpokeyDokey

Listening to music for me means listening to albums. I know that less people are doing so and my kids don't understand why I have to keep getting up to turn LPs over but it is more than just a collection of songs, a good album has a narrative and as MontyVeda says it also captures a moment in time for an artist more than just one track.

I read an article a while back about the polarisation of the way people listen to recorde music now that streaming services are widely available.

Not difficult to fathom out what the primary choices are ie listen to whole albums by a particular artist or to graze across the piste so to speak.

I have one friend who is locked in a time warp and listens almost exclusively to Rush/Sabbath/Deep Purple etc on an album by album basis (he can't even contemplate listening to tracks in the 'wrong' order). A great majority of older people listen like this.

Most young people tend to 'graze' - as do some of us oldies and this trend is increasing. This group do not necessarily know the names of the artists they are listening to and nor do they care (we are in this group despite being on the older side of life). I read that around 15% of <25's had never listened to a whole album and the number is growing.

Each to their own of course.

We quite like a continual stream of fresh new music and we listen to many hours a week (we're not heavy TV watchers) and generally I add around a 1000 or so new tracks a year into the mix - we struggle with listening to the same music over and over.

We found that Spotify revolutionised our listening habits allowing us to spread our wings a bit and ferret around cross genre etc much more easily.

We really like the by occasion and mood approach to categorising our playlists - obviously you can do that by ripping to FLAC etc but it is a real ballache imo.

Each to their own of course.

SpokeyDokey

I use Tidal. Yes, more expensive but worth it for sound quality and artists get a better deal than Spotify.

I think my older ears are preventing me from discerning any difference. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong but to me Spotify on 320kbps is very impressive - we can hear a singers intake of breath and (not that we listen to much acoustic guitar) but we can hear the noise of fingers sliding around on frets etc. Not that we are really bothered by that level of detail as we listen to a lot of EDM which is often very complex and multi-layered but it's the bass that really does it for us (as long as it is well controlled and natural sounding).

bandcamp is one of the best for downloading but you are limited , you wont get any mainstream on there
you can also try amazon, when you buy digital you can download the album and keep for yourself
bitrate is 320 i think

Jody

Stubborn git
I have been downloading from youtube but that is only at 128kbps

Out of interest, what programme are you using to snide music from Youtube? The ones I have been using stopped working.

Panic not anyone who thinks I'm doing an artist out of money as I only tend to download DJ sets.

Top Bottom