Downloading Music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bandcamp is one of the best for downloading but you are limited , you wont get any mainstream on there
you can also try amazon, when you buy digital you can download the album and keep for yourself
bitrate is 320 i think
Yes I like bandcamp too, great for discovering new music without having to wade through generic R&B etc. ^_^

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Google for FLAC and a band/album name; there are plenty of portals that sell high bitrate audio files, either as individual tracks or complete albums.
Does anyone know of websites where i can download music of at least 320kbps?I have been downloading from youtube but that is only at 128kbps and since buying a new pair of headphones i have come to the conclusion that the sound isn't that great.
I've looked at sites like HD tracks but if you are going to download using FLAC it can work out pretty expensive.
Just discovered boomkat.com this week; they sell music as individual MP3 files at 320 kbps.
I was looking for Lemon Jelly's first album. The tracks were 99p each as MP3 or slightly more for WAV or FLAC. I bought the whole album in CD-quality FLAC for £7.

Seemed a much better deal than Amazon, who wanted £8 for the set of MP3s, or £20 for a CD. They also had it in vinyl for £300!!!!!

Google for FLAC and a band/album name; there are plenty of portals that sell high bitrate audio files, either as individual tracks or complete albums.

Just discovered boomkat.com this week; they sell music as individual MP3 files at 320 kbps.
I was looking for Lemon Jelly's first album. The tracks were 99p each as MP3 or slightly more for WAV or FLAC. I bought the whole album in CD-quality FLAC for £7.

Seemed a much better deal than Amazon, who wanted £8 for the set of MP3s, or £20 for a CD. They also had it in vinyl for £300!!!!!
Is it really 20 years since that came out?? Great stuff, have all of theirs on CD, if only i had got the vinyl instead ^_^

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
Out of interest, what programme are you using to snide music from Youtube? The ones I have been using stopped working.

Panic not anyone who thinks I'm doing an artist out of money as I only tend to download DJ sets.
i copy the music video from YouTube and then paste to 4k Video Downloader(Clicking on audio only).Vey quick and easy to do and if your not bothered about the low kbps it's great.
The stuff I'm downloading is mostly 60-80s alternative,Rock, Prog Rock sort of stuff so i wouldn't be denying any up and coming acts of money.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'll have a look at that. Sounds similar to Tubemate that I was using. It still works on Youtube vids but not music after Google implemented code to stop it working.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Is it really 20 years since that came out?? Great stuff, have all of theirs on CD, if only i had got the vinyl instead ^_^
I've not had a turntable for over 30 years. Didn't realise that some vinyl was so sought after.

Sadly, not my Thomas the Tank Engine stories (narrated by Johnny Morris).
Nor my 1978 Dr Who Sounds Effects LP (BBC Radiophonic Workshop - Mono). I'd have thought that would have some geek cachet.
Such gems.

Edited for a typo or two

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think my older ears are preventing me from discerning any difference. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong but to me Spotify on 320kbps is very impressive - we can hear a singers intake of breath and (not that we listen to much acoustic guitar) but we can hear the noise of fingers sliding around on frets etc. Not that we are really bothered by that level of detail as we listen to a lot of EDM which is often very complex and multi-layered but it's the bass that really does it for us (as long as it is well controlled and natural sounding).
I doubt many people can tell the difference between 320kbps and something much higher, but 128kbps can sound quite weak in comparison... a bit like those old compilation LPs that crammed 30minutes of music onto each side, the grove had to be shallow to get so much on but the result was a shallow sounding record.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

That's one album which must be owned on either CD or LP... the cover is a work of art. Definitely one of my favourites (the cover, that is).

You can get it on vinyl from Discogs for a mere £136 including P&P :okay:

I've not had a turntable for over 30 years. Didn't realise that some vinyl was so sought after.

Sadly, nor my Thomas the Tank Engine stories (narrated by Johnny Morris).
Now my 1978 Dr Who Sounds Effects LP (BBC Radiophonic Workshop - Mono). I'd have thought that would have some geek cachet.
Such gems.
I got back into vinyl about 10 years ago, loads of family and friends started off-loading their dusty old LP's my way so now have 100's. Yes some is quite valuable..... one i was given was this

Only worth a few quid as the black vinyl version, but, find a see-through blue vinyl one and its £4000 worth!

Durango Bay

I read an article a while back about the polarisation of the way people listen to recorde music now that streaming services are widely available.

Not difficult to fathom out what the primary choices are ie listen to whole albums by a particular artist or to graze across the piste so to speak.

I have one friend who is locked in a time warp and listens almost exclusively to Rush/Sabbath/Deep Purple etc on an album by album basis (he can't even contemplate listening to tracks in the 'wrong' order). A great majority of older people listen like this.

Most young people tend to 'graze' - as do some of us oldies and this trend is increasing. This group do not necessarily know the names of the artists they are listening to and nor do they care (we are in this group despite being on the older side of life). I read that around 15% of <25's had never listened to a whole album and the number is growing.

Each to their own of course.

We quite like a continual stream of fresh new music and we listen to many hours a week (we're not heavy TV watchers) and generally I add around a 1000 or so new tracks a year into the mix - we struggle with listening to the same music over and over.

We found that Spotify revolutionised our listening habits allowing us to spread our wings a bit and ferret around cross genre etc much more easily.

We really like the by occasion and mood approach to categorising our playlists - obviously you can do that by ripping to FLAC etc but it is a real ballache imo.

Each to their own of course.
I have just purchased a new turntable and dragged all the vinyl from the loft and am enjoying myself listening to all the old LPs and buying new ones. It is a ridiculously inconvenient way of listening to music compared to streaming or even CDs but I am having a whale of a time.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have just purchased a new turntable and dragged all the vinyl from the loft and am enjoying myself listening to all the old LPs and buying new ones. It is a ridiculously inconvenient way of listening to music compared to streaming or even CDs but I am having a whale of a time.

I've just been building three new playlists this afternoon:

Happy Banging Tunes - for playing when using the new gym under the house.

Sex & Love & Rock'n'Roll - best not go there!

Chess background - some quiet, unobtrusive tracks for when we are playing chess.

I'm so so very modern! (Even with this sentence.) :laugh:

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
I got back into vinyl about 10 years ago, loads of family and friends started off-loading their dusty old LP's my way so now have 100's. Yes some is quite valuable..... one i was given was this
View attachment 573576
Only worth a few quid as the black vinyl version, but, find a see-through blue vinyl one and its £4000 worth!
Echoes is not only my favourite Pink Floyd song it is probably one of my favourite songs of all time.Twenty three minutes of sheer pleasure

Top Bottom