Downside of Big Tyres ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mildly terrifying yesterday. On a steep but straight and fast descent doing around 30mph if not more - it was raining so my visibility wasn't great however this was my regular route home I know this road really well.

I hit either a pothole or a stone - fearing what could happen next I started to slow down - sure enough I got that flat feeling. So started to pull over - but I really struggled to control the bike and thought it was going to throw me off - car behind as well ! - Finally I brought the bike under control.

Anyway I have recently gone up to 28 Tyres - I wonder if this made the whole experience worse as a taller tyre did not seem to cope as well with a sudden deflation

Thinking of going tubeless.

Dolorous Edd

28 is not big

Edit - P.S. Glad you're OK!

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't see 28mm as big but standard for many people these days. There doesn't seem to be any benefit to smaller. I ride 35mm on my winter/gravel bike and consider this big.

Was this a front wheel flat? My view would be a puncture on a 30mph descent in rain with limited vision and braking has several factors involved which make control difficult. I don't feel tyre size is one of them. I don't mean to be rude but frankly too fast is probably the main contributor.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I don't see 28mm as big but standard for many people these days. There doesn't seem to be any benefit to smaller. I ride 35mm on my winter/gravel bike and consider this big.

Was this a front wheel flat? My view would be a puncture on a 30mph descent in rain with limited vision and braking has several factors involved which make control difficult. I don't feel tyre size is one of them. I don't mean to be rude but frankly too fast is probably the main contributor.

Front wheel flat yes.

I have had this happen many times over the years - but never struggled like I did yesterday and only recently gone up to 28's wondered if there was a connection - probably not on responses next time.

Sharky

Guru
I had similar a couple of years ago. Think I posted on here about it. Sudden deflation caused by hitting debris on the road.

But although it was "sudden" it took several revolutions before all the air was lost and that gives you time to react, keeping the bike in a straight line and braking to a halt.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Everyone's worst nightmare. A real clenched buttock moment. As stated above, 28 isn't particularly big but a rapid front tyre deflation could happen on any size tyre after hitting a pothole or unexpected object at speed. Downhill, wet, heavy braking just adds to the adrenaline rush. Glad you're OK!

I blew my 21mm front tyre descending alpe d'huez once. It was the day after the race so lots of traffic meant I was braking more. Luckily there was a left hand hairpin with parking that I could run off into. There was no steering possible.

(And I'm sure I'd over inflated the tube anyway. I don't do those silly things now with my 32mm)

<BIG SNIP> I don't do those silly things now with my 32mm

This is how we all hopefully learn from previous 'things'
I'm a great one for speed (descending only in my case), I live in wirral so mostly flat but most rides I'll record a decent descent max of 25-30 but never, ever in the wet, my shorts/tights may well be black but I think the brown might show.
Fast as you like when it's appropriate, that is terrain and weather and surface driven, not really tyre size at all.
Glad it ended well.

Top Bottom