Downtube levers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Elder son and I are still trying to make a drop bar tourer from an MTB frame. As the Elder Son is now an apprentice bike mechanic there are new possibilities opening up, and one of these is that he will, with the help of his trainer, drill a hole through the frame and put a boss straight through. He's seen another bike that his trainer converted in this way, so knows it is possible.

I've read somewhere that Shimano eight speed downtube shifters with indexing are compatible with their 8-speed MTB mechs. Is that correct?

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes. It'll work perfectly:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
If youre using drop bars you could fit 8 speed Sora brifters, or mount olde style MTB shift levers up on the bars.

I avoided the problem by going SS on my drop bar MTB.

If youre using drop bars you could fit 8 speed Sora brifters, or mount olde style MTB shift levers up on the bars.

I avoided the problem by going SS on my drop bar MTB.

I'd prefer Brifters but can't find any we can afford at the moment.

The only brifters we can find (and can't afford/justify paying for) seem to be friction shifters, whereas the Downtube shifters we're finding are a lot cheaper and have indexing that works with MTB gears, at least on the back mech, which seems easier

Drago

Legendary Member
You want old school shifters like this on the bars. Ive seen them before sited just below the brake levers on the inaide of the drop bars, where the fingertips can move them...

schwinn sierra#2.jpg

Or if you have a quill stem you can get stem mounted levers.

old school shifters like this on the bars

Elder Son is has wanted a 'properly' retro bike for some time, and if we can't afford Brifters, then he'll go for down tube. There's a slight rebellious streak in him and he's working at a shop that sells expensive E-bikes and alongside other apprentices that all ride equally expensive downhill bikes so now he's even more committed to the 'retro' Randonneur idea.

si_c

Guru
OK.

@Low Gear Guy, true retro downtube shifters don't have indexong.

:huh:

Pretty much this. The best downtube shifters you can get are the Simplex Retrofrictions IMO, light easy action, total reliability, zero indexing - and they work with pretty much every cable actuated derailleur ever made.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Top Bottom