Downtube shifter refurb kits, do they exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I am building up a new steel frame and looking to fit downtube shifters, I have some Shimano 600 ones that I would like to use, but have lost/worn out everything but the levers.

I can't seem to find anyone offering them over here, I found this on the internet and it is the sort if thing that I mean
rk1.png
In this case it is from the US and has something like £16 p&p.

The new options, in 8 speed seem to be Tiagra level, a Sunrace or a Dia-Compe none of which are that appealing visually.

The used option is unattractive as the condition will be unknown/I am unwilling to cough up £100 plus for NOS which still have the effects on aging on the plastic friction parts, hence the refurb.

Bye

Ian

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Good afternoon

Quite a few years ago I went from 7 speed to 8 speed solely because used/new 7 speed stuff was hard to find.

I made the change after joining a non trivial roundabout and having the gears slip because the shifters were at the end of their life. It was a really horrible experience to fall off and look at a car and hope that the driver can apply his brakes in time to avoid something that wasn't his fault.

So NOS worries me. :-)

Sadly I am not a photographer, the left hand shifter is the old 600, the right a new SL-400, it looks a lot worse in the flesh.

IMG_1800.JPG

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I use downtube shifters on all my bikes.

I've repaired a few friction shifters by adding thick correct diameter size rubber washers between either faces. Just replace the new rubber washer when they wear, not as good as the original washers, but better than nothing. Measure your existing washers for the correct diameters.:okay:

Diacompe make good friction shifters, I have them on two bikes, they work very well, a ratchet mechanism like the good old Suntour shifters.

£50 at Spacycles. I remember when they were £20+, wow.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s108p1318/DIACOMPE-Downtube-Shifters

The SL R-400's are fine shiters for down tube. Polished alloy. - match all the 90's levers.

Yes, the Shimano SL-R400 8 Spd Shifters are good for 8 speed indexed, but it's a pity that they do not have a RHS friction setting.

Good morning,

Raleigh used these on their complete bike version and they just look wrong to me.
1667115150433.png
As this bike serves no logical purpose, it must look right.:laugh:

I remember Dia-Compe when they were the first upgrade from own brand steel parts, look like it's going to be the Sunraces then. Some reviewers have said they look better in reality than they do onscreen.

Looking at thier page, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sunrace/ they are hardly a cheap and cheerful brand anymore.

Bye

Ian

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'd avoid sunrace if I were you.
I used the 9 speed variants for a while. Thinking the first set were faulty I bought a second set. Same problem. The indexing was very slightly out and so I could never get the gears running quietly.
I ended up splashing on Dura ace as they were on sale at around £60. Never looked back.

Good morning,

Oh dear!:sad:

I have placed an order for some bits and pieces with SJS, including some 8spd Sunrace.

The good news is that they are dirt cheap and I might want to go STI anyway......

............. unless I put Di2 satellite shifters on the downtube and get one of these to mount the battery by a bottle cage,:laugh::laugh:

1667123347847.png

The

Bye

Ian

GuyBoden

Guru
I'd avoid sunrace if I were you.
I used the 9 speed variants for a while. Thinking the first set were faulty I bought a second set. Same problem. The indexing was very slightly out and so I could never get the gears running quietly.
I ended up splashing on Dura ace as they were on sale at around £60. Never looked back.

Totally agree, the Sunrace shifters are not very good.

Can you use your old 600 levers with the new SL R400 assembly?

Au revoir

You can't use the internals of SL-R400 in the old 600 shifter. The SL-R400 use a ratchet system and the old 600 use friction washers.

There are two main types of downube shifters:

Friction shifters using washers for friction. (The older types.)
Ratchet types, using a ratchet cog for gear selection, index or non-index.

I prefer the ratchet type with a non-index setting.

If the OP is using 8 speed index, I would recommend the Shimano SL-R400 shifters.

Top Bottom