Downtube shifters - bits missing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was planning to fit these old 600 shifters I took off an old bike years ago to a frame I just got off fleabay, but they don't fit. The brazed-on lugs on the frame are kind of square (they're actually made to take cable-stops for sti-type shifters), but these seem to have a round hole thru' the middle, with mouldings that look like they're supposed to engage with some kind of mounting pad that fits on the frame. Am I just missing a brace of 'mounting pads', or whatever they might be called?

shifters1.jpg

shifters2.jpg

Thanks.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Pic below might be of use to you. Apart from missing 4, given 5 below is the typical boss, I also can't see the 9 (with the slot matching 5) inside your levers?

Image.ShimanoSL6400RP.gif

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. I think you're right - basically, I'm missing 4. 9 is there, tho' on the other side of the lever (next to the screw) - although it looks like it engages with 5, it actually doesn't. It engages with a squared-off lug that's part of the internal mechanism.

shifters3.jpg

Nope, it's 4 that I'm missing: a sort of mounting block that acts as an 'adaptor' between the brazed on lug on the frame and the internal mouldings on the main unit - 10. Wonder what I did with it...?

Thanks again.

Top Bottom