downtube/Sti update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
or you could just re-use your DT shifters mounted via the Retroshift lever:-

http://retroshift.com/store/

it's basically a Tektro road brake lever with the front drilled to accept a mount for a DT or barend shifter.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Retroshift - great idea - but $119 + $15 shipping!

that's my biggest reservation for something that's a normal brake lever with a hole drilled in it and a mounting bracket added.

Surprisingly though it does compare well, pricewise, to other solutions. Don't forget it does include the brake levers themselves, which I have used(or at least I think I had the Tektro version they've modified for this) and were very comfy and worked well.

So it's £85 for the package, knock £35 off for the brake levers/postage and you're left with £50 - now do a search for Pauls Thumbies or similar. It does get silly if you need all the parts for a build, £85 for this, £60 for Shimano shifters, getting a bit close to STIs then and actually more than some Campag versions.

I can see the offroad or touring attraction though.

OP
OP
curzons246

curzons246

Veteran
Thanks everybody for your well imformed and varied replies - I think i'm either going to stick with my DTS's or get the bar end one's and leave the Sti's till they start building modern frames at 65cm

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Thanks everybody for your well imformed and varied replies - I think i'm either going to stick with my DTS's or get the bar end one's and leave the Sti's till they start building modern frames at 65cm

Is that due to aesthetic preference? My 30 year old 531 frame is 64cm, nevertheless generally a largish, often not the largest, frame of a current model would also fit me just fine.

OP
OP
curzons246

curzons246

Veteran
Is that due to aesthetic preference? My 30 year old 531 frame is 64cm, nevertheless generally a largish, often not the largest, frame of a current model would also fit me just fine.
I Honestly dont know my carlton cost £150 - I now average 14mph over 45 miles and keep up with my mate on his new £700 bike who's main gain seems to be able to easily change gear without moving his hands is that worth another £600 - the specialized allez at 61cm seems small i've tried a 23 1/2 inch steel frame and it feels small I guess i'll have to sort out a test ride to find out ? cheers Bill

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Was that £150 new? If so what would that be in today's money?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think you have to consider what the original cost of your bike was, before you ask is it worth £600 to change gear more easily. I suspect it was pretty expensive in its day - maybe the equivalent of your mate's bike now. So his bike was probably, in effect, no more expensive than yours was. £700+ is just what you have to pay nowadays. Technology has moved on. I bought my Peugeot 525 Comp (Entry level, 12 speed Shimano Exage, down tube indexed shifters, Renolds 525 steel) on the 22 April 1992 - 20 years old this April. It was £314.95 (RRP £349.95 so I got 10% discount!). [around £612 (£681) in todays terms in relation to average earnings].
The answer has to be no, it is not worth spending a lot to upgrade your bike, unless it is very special to you. It would be much more cost effective to find a modern 20 speed indexed bike that fits - perhaps with more seat post showing and a longer stem.

Top Bottom