Drafting a club run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I reckon it depends on the speed of the MTBer. If all they did was to continue at a similar pace then the Roadie is to blame but if the MTBer decided to hammer it when they got passed because they got irritated (and you get plenty of folk who do this), then the MTBer is at fault and should just accept that sometime they are going to get passed by a group / club / whatever.

Personally I dislike it if I am on a club run and you get interlopers. Often causes confusion and problems but thankfully it's relatively rare - although has happened in the past two Saturday rides, heh.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The reality is that the club don't own the road and it was not a closed road event as such the MTB had a right to be there as much as the club. If you don't wish to ride with anyone in your group speed up/slow down/change direction.
The club ride got messy at roundabouts not the MTB, it never would have happened if the club ride did not get messy.

Messy organisation at roundabouts, inconsistent pedaling technique and pace within the group.... Sounds like the MTB is the right person to look towards for these issues.:headshake:

The person refueling mid pack seemed to have no awareness of his surroundings, or the impact inconsistent pace could have on the group, it was by chance the MTB was involved.

I would kick off if a club had a go at me after doing that lot

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So a mountain biker drafts a club run. The club get a little messy at a few roundabouts and the mountain biker ends up in the pack of 14 or so riders. One of the older members decides he needs an energy shot which results in him slowing down and becoming inconsistent with his pedalling technique. As a result, the mountain biker crosses wheels (I guess rather than brake) several times; should the club guys have a go at him and ask him to leave the group or would you just do what you could to drop him? Who's at fault, the guys who decides to take on energy whilst in the middle of the group or the mountain biker for not wanting to brake but as a result, crosses wheels.
you don't end up in a pack of 14 riders - you choose to do so.

Occasionally we have people join in with our rides. It's not usually a problem, although part of the club's deal with Fridays members is that everybody around you has third party insurance and the interloper probably doesn't - that would be the same for most clubs. Only twice have we had people make a nuisance of themselves. In the first instance I went to the back and gave the young man a bollocking and he disappeared. In the second instance it took me a while to work out that the person who had the TECs fix three punctures was a freeloader. I told him and his mate to piss off and he spend the rest of the ride messing about at the front - if I had my time again I'd have done the sensible thing and taken him straight off.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The MTB rider should vacate the paceline or sit just off the back as an act of common courtesy. It has nothing to do with owning the road etc, is it about joining in another groups activity without invite, it is not the done thing, you wouldn't see a load of mates playing football in the park, randomly run into the game, tackle one of them dribble down field and "score" would you?

It would cause no grief to anyone for him to move out of the group. If he was the same pace, he would just sit a static distance from the back and enjoy his ride, if he is slower, the club would leave him behind and he would enjoy his ride, if he is faster, he could overtake and then enjoy his ride.

Payneys

Sorry just seen this thread .... Can I change tack a little ...

I do all my cycling solo - it's just my preference ( or is it I don't have any mates ummm ) anyway is their an etiquette re joing a club ride ?

I have passed / been passed by club rides whilst out and the thout has crossed my mind to latch on to them but is it ok to or not ??

I know technically they can't stop me riding on the road with them but ...

Any opinions ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sorry just seen this thread .... Can I change tack a little ...

I do all my cycling solo - it's just my preference ( or is it I don't have any mates ummm ) anyway is their an etiquette re joing a club ride ?

I have passed / been passed by club rides whilst out and the thout has crossed my mind to latch on to them but is it ok to or not ??

I know technically they can't stop me riding on the road with them but ...

Any opinions ?

If you want to try club riding, why not just go along to a local clubs intro ride rather than riding around waiting for a club to pass you then jumping in.

The ettiquette is the same as with almost any other activity, if you want to join in, you ask if the group would mind! Don't just plant yourself in the group.

StuartG

slower but further
The ettiquette is the same as with almost any other activity, if you want to join in, you ask if the group would mind! Don't just plant yourself in the group.
Our club would probably welcome you with open arms. Others would be horrified 'cos it would screw up what they are trying to do.

That's the point - generalising about cycling clubs is rubbish. Its nice to feel welcome and you don't want to annoy people who may be too polite to tell you that. So ask nicely. What's the problem?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
going back to the original question, so what happened exactly?
Was the mountain biker sufficiently fit and fast to actually catch up with a pelaton on a club run, and somehow this was bad of him ? How slow were the club then ffs ?

Or, and presumably more likely, the club pelaton caught up with him, and somehow this is his fault, for what, being in the way ?

StuartG

slower but further
I find it rather odd that people can not work out the etiquette in such circumstances for themselves. If social constructs fail you at any given moment, simply tell yourself "don't be a dick", you should immediately realise what to do.

Most club cyclists are mentally challenged. Each has a special set. Some its personal hygiene, dress sense, ability to fix a flat, hold an OS map the right way up ... lacking etiquette is a minor aberration and seldom noticed except when exhibited by a guest rider. The only important ability is they can ride, even ride well and they can anticipate and avoid everybody else's incompetence and still be the first to the bar. Hadn't you noticed that?

Top Bottom