Drafting a club run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

I find it rather odd that people can not work out the etiquette in such circumstances for themselves. If social constructs fail you at any given moment, simply tell yourself "don't be a dick", you should immediately realise what to do.
The etiquette is within the group, if you wish to ride as such a group you should be able to deal with what ever situation you encounter, if you as a group don't have such skills you should not be on the highway. Whilst riding at Cannock chase I happened to encounter a roadie nobber on his cross bike, needless to say he was dealt with swiftly and clinnically, his safety was never jeapodised because of his lack of skill.:whistle:[potsy] ^_^

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am not talking about group riding etiquette, I am talking about general social etiquette, in the context of joining in another groups activity without asking if it is okay. Group riding skill and internal group etiquette is completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

lukesdad

So in the club general social etiquette of things, when was the last time your band of brothers enquired whether the occaisonal cyclist you encounter would like to join you ? After all its only manners.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So in the club general social etiquette of things, when was the last time your band of brothers enquired whether the occaisonal cyclist you encounter would like to join you ? After all its only manners.

Since when has it been the social norm that a group ask random people they encounter whether they would like to join them?

lukesdad

Oh come on Rob out with your elitest tendancies, we both know why you wouldn't extend an invite to any old Joe :biggrin:

G3CWI

Veteran
I have passed / been passed by club rides whilst out and the thought has crossed my mind to latch on to them but is it ok to or not ??

I also ride alone. If I got mixed up in some club ride my first thought would be to turn off as soon as possible. It takes me enough effort to concentrate on my own safety without having to watch out for others.

Payneys

Rob I was just re reading my original question and I am wondering which part of " I usually rode on my own by preference" you failed to comprehend ... I do not solicit myself on the public highway like some tart trying to avail myself of the first club run that comes along..... I am not a member of a club and whilst I am pretty certain I would actaully not give a jot if someone wanted to tag onto my club ride because I would be taking part in said ride as a social occasion which ( not belonging to a club) I believed these rides were .... Obviously In some cases this is not how they are taken ... I will take the line of least resistance and pride and not bother asking I think . I bet your club is very welcoming if the rest of you have the same attitude as yourself ....

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

we don't see many on the road when we're about, but if somebody (whether riding or not) looks vaguely interested one of us will give them a run-down and suggest a visit to the blogthingy

Tim Hall

we don't see many on the road when we're about, but if somebody (whether riding or not) looks vaguely interested one of us will give them a run-down and suggest a visit to the blogthingy

FD hands out cards, but then he's posh like that. I think his butler carries them for him.

Top Bottom