Dragon ride . Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Looking for next year's sportive event I have come across this sportive based around Cardiff heading into the Beacon beacons . Any CCers done it the past ,what's it like routes etc. Tend to do 1 sportive a a year away from home last year it was etape Loch Ness looking for something different next year

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Looks lumpy, I'm out :laugh:

Lozz360

Veteran
I did the Medio Fondo this year. I found it tough. Devils Elbow section peaks at 30% apparently. Views were fantastic. I enjoyed it but probably won’t do it again (getting a bit old).

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I did the 200 km grand fond version several years back also organized a cycle chat ride for about a dozen cc folk almost identical to next years 150km dragon ride .Devils elbow is very steep for the short section of the elbow itself most of the climbs are less than 10% but theres lots of them.

Some of thenarrow mountain roads were very crowded at times.

I understand that in recent years the organization of the Dragon is very good.

If looking for a less hectic but still challenging South/West Wales sportive consider the Merli n Ride.
https://www.county-cycles.com/merlin-ride

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I thinking of the medio Fondo 153km the gran Fondo would be my longest ride ever may be a bit too lumpy to attempt this as for the Devil :surrender:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've done the Gran Fondo when that was the longest option. Lumpy and busy, but otherwise fine.

Speed bumps and potholes be cursed

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive done a small event sportive a few years back by Country Cycles ( I think) The long ride was 120 miles included the devils arse and elbow, or whatever there are called. It was an event with only maybe 100 riders, so became virtually a solo event. Tough event with 12/13,000 ft of climbing, made tolerable by good food stops and on the day dry warm weather. I wouldn't do it in the rain which Wales is famous for,

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well Ive gone for it . Doing the Dragon tour so 2 days riding based around Newport on Friday and Saturday then the Medio on Sunday accommodation booked just need to find my climbing legs

ukbabz

Über Member
Hoping the weather will stay dry! But never know with Wales.

Tried to get some mates to join but apparently the Gran Fondo was a bit too close to insane for them so will be on my own. Not looking forward to the drive back to oxfordshire afterwards

Top Bottom