Dragon's Den -fraud, or completely staged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
50% of investment offers are withdrawn after due diligence - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-den-investments-fall-through-after-the-show/

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not over keen on most of them now and a bit tired format like mentioned above its now seen as free advertising on the BBC for 10 minutes. Apparently the website loads are huge during and for a good while after. Debroah Meaden has been in to and out of a few in my trade none are flying.

The way some of them go on about their "contacts" if I were a buyer I would tell them to feck off when they came to present a Dragon Den product they talk like its a forgone conclusion they will get listing in all the major Retailers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Best product turned down was the "baby cup" lids. No-one would want to be seen drinking out of a cup with one fitted.

ozboz

Guru
I've never had much interest in that programme ,
but I do know a bloke that lives around Twickenham that came up with some idea for mobile phone cases , he did appear on the show but rejected their offers , he went on and made a fortune , so I suppose the exposure on TV worked for him ,

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The Boot Buddy was a successful pitch on Dragons Den. A great little product which we find very useful on returning to the car - it’s much easier to get mud off boots while it’s still wet.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/boot-buddy-buddy-750068

Globalti

Legendary Member
My cousin owns The Generating Company, which is like a mini Cirque du Soleil. He went on and won quite a large sum of money (memory tells me £160,000) but next time I saw him I asked what happened. His reply? "They wanted too much in return and the discussions just petered out so we never got anything".

Brandane

Legendary Member
Levi Roots is the only one that springs to mind as a DD success story.
I saw that chain tensioner device last night as mentioned in the OP and had the same thoughts re derailleur gear systems having their own built in tensioner. As a motorcyclist too it struck me as a bit of overkill and a waste of time - what happens if you set the chain tension at a loose spot and thereby making parts of the chain too tight; as all bikers know that a chain doesn't wear uniformly along it's length. You're still going to have to have to use the good old tried and tested method of using your eyes, your fingers, and a touch of common sense.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Trunki wins that one. Hands down.
I am no accountant but when someone touted them as a success I took a look and the accounts don't really reflect success on the level the PR does, they reflect heavy investment, borrowing and losses.

Top Bottom