Drain pipe job for neighbour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think the job is beyond basic sandpaper. The paint is an inch to 2 thick with deep cracks all over and flakes. Not just thin flakes like a leaf.

I think the job is beyond basic sandpaper. The paint is an inch to 2 thick with deep cracks all over and flakes. Not just thin flakes like a leaf.
Are you sure? That would be the thickest paint I have ever seen, making the pipes up to 2" wider. Is there metal under all that paint?

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Are you sure? That would be the thickest paint I have ever seen, making the pipes up to 2" wider. Is there metal under all that paint?
I think the pipes are concrete or an asbestos mix. Its grey under the paint?. The house was built in 1960.The homeowners have been painting thick gloss on every few years it looks like.

I have a neighbour like that, she is always looking to have stuff done on the cheap by random people. That's all very well when it comes to merely cosmetic stuff, even though it looks a mess (you should have seen the hilarious 'haircut' her poor tree got from someone who clearly had no idea what they were doing ...), but when it's something functional or structural it gets serious.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Best to keep clear in future. I may have the wrong end of the stick, but the neighbours response sounds quite rude to me
I think what it is Andy is that she was frustrated/cross because she clearly needs/wants the job doing but doesn't want to pay the going rate. She'll probably feel messed about/ let down etc. I would say that if she can actually get someone in to do it properly it will be hundreds and replacement of pipes and a soil stack would be well over a grand plus for a whole house. She has sons who bother periodically and she also has money so its not like she's on benefits or anything.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sounds exactly like my neighbor. She somehow talked me into taking 2 large shrubs down, that she planted, and we're on her side of the property. I cut them up and took them to the recycling center and she didn't even say thank you. She then asked me to dig out the roots, at which point I decided not to do anything else to help her out. And she lives with her son who's 30 odd, twice my size and seemingly does nothing to help

Lozz360

Veteran
Pedant alert: If the paint is 2” thick then the pipe is 4” wider! Seriously though, I suspect Kingfisher means the paint is 2mm thick.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I wonder why neither of her “two capable sons” are doing the job?
They live an hours drive away each and I'm not sure what she tells them regarding what needs doing? I cant see them spending hours sanding down thickly painted drainpipes in the winter they wont want to be doing that.

Top Bottom