Drakes Trail Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm off down to Plymouth to see the BIL soon, and camping at Riverside. Just opposte is Drakes Trail, a 22 mile route from Plymouth to Tavistock. Has anyone ridden this? Thinking of doing most with my 13 year old lad.

Ta

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
There was some interesting info in this thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/diy-200-devon-c2c.231788/

I was planning to camp at Riverside too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
This is my primary ride. If I extend it a bit by going over Laira Bridge and back up to the Plymouth Rowing Club, it makes a nice figure of 40 miles there and back.
Whereabouts is the campsite?
Nice number for me, my lad will make it too. Campsite is here
Capture1.PNG

Cool, from there to Tavistock town centre and back should be a nice round 40, give or take a little bit. The steep bit is on the way back, but after that point, it's flat/downhill all the way down the Plym Valley. There are two railway tunnels and plenty of walkers, so lights an absolute must! Also, most of these walkers, as well as some cyclists, will be unlit, and can be really hard to see unless silhouetted against the other end of the tunnel. Or unless you have staggeringly bright lights.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Cool, from there to Tavistock town centre and back should be a nice round 40, give or take a little bit. The steep bit is on the way back, but after that point, it's flat/downhill all the way down the Plym Valley. There are two railway tunnels and plenty of walkers, so lights an absolute must! Also, most of these walkers, as well as some cyclists, will be unlit, and can be really hard to see unless silhouetted against the other end of the tunnel. Or unless you have staggeringly bright lights.

I'll pack the Hope lights then, cheers for the heads up:okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My father in law owns Riverside.

What bikes are you taking @cosmicbike ? Road or tractor?

He goes deaf on the 'D' of discount!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
From Riverside you can go up the Plym valley to Clearbrook and then on to Yelverton.
There is an estate agent called Mainsbridge and Balment right next to Meavy Lane- take Meavy Lane. After about half a mile there is a massive down followed by a big up, then you go over the cattle grid on to open moorland.
Follow the road to Cadover Bridge. Continue on road until you reach the crossroads. Go straight on.
After about 1 mile on the right is the entrance to Cann Wood. Make your way down through the wood until you pick up the Plym Valley. Turn left, back to Riverside.

A couple of decent hills, but a taste of Dartmoor with some lovely views to distant tors.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My father in law owns Riverside.

What bikes are you taking @cosmicbike ? Road or tractor?

He goes deaf on the 'D' of discount!

My lad will take his 29er, I'll likely have the Boardman CX. My Mum & Dad used to go to Riverside back when Mum was still with us, it's local enough to my older Brother and a seems a good base location wise. Fingers crossed for some nice weather now

Top Bottom