Dream tour route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am 55 today and had vague plans to do USA coast to coast at some point. However yesterday I had health diagnosis which means I don't want to wait 5-10 years, and to be frank I am disinclined to do the USA with the current political situation.

So I am looking at an "iconic" route across Europe. I have done the whole of France, done UK to Gib, so UK to Istanbul is one option, but also thinking Atlantic to Black Sea - gives a nice sound and Atlantic could be Spain, Portugal or France. West to east sounds like (marginally) better wind, and gets the "easy" countries out the way first.

Any views?

Julian

Roscoff to Santander.JPG

Great Minds?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I am slow and heavy and certainly not actively seeking out monster climbs!

@psmiffy are you a definite for that tour - looks like a challenge. Did you complete the Rhine one?

I need to work out when I can do it based on work (currently unemployed freelance HR person!). And tie it in with triathlons (half and full IM in May and July). And hope health holds out!

@psmiffy are you a definite for that tour - looks like a challenge. Did you complete the Rhine one?

Got as far as Granville on the Normandy coast in mid-November before the weather - mega headwind and freezing - stopped me - plus I think I picked up the French winter bug in a supermarket in Aubigny (they didn't charge me for it ^_^) - Danube 2017 at the moment is a "thought" - depends on my fitness - I wouldnt be able to just wing it like I did for Rhine 2016

Edit - not a "challenge" - us "proper" tourers don't do challenges ^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
No No No, don't post things like this. I'll be giving up the job, selling the house and taking a year off (again).

Seriously, great looking route around Europe. I did the Trans Am using the Adventure Cycling maps years ago. Thing is, most people in the USA are great and off help and hospitality.
I am sure I would have a lovely time in America. Just prefer to spend my bucks nearer to home for the next 4 to 8 years

I am sure I would have a lovely time in America. Just prefer to spend my bucks nearer to home for the next 4 to 8 years

US west coast, north to south. You could join in with the California independence celebrations;)

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
problem I have re timeframe is that being self employed i cannot plan ahead too much. But from a health point of view I think I need to do it by end of 2018

If you want a long flat route then stick to rivers/coast.

Do a circuit around the Carpathian Mountains. Rhine -> Danube -> north -> back along the Baltic. That's around 5,500-6,000 miles round trip with no big mountain ranges to cross.

Noelinspain

Über Member
Hi Guys,
May I join in the debate? Having already cycled the Danube from its source in Donaueschingen to Budapest I'm now planning to bike down the Rhine this Summer. Now if jay clock fancies doing the Atlantic to the Black Sea another option would be to cycle up the Rhine from the Hook of Holland to Schaffhausen, then go north to meet the Danube (the two rivers are surprisingly close at this point). Although I ended my journey in Budapest, you can carry on all the way to the Black Sea I believe.

Top Bottom