Dream tour route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now if jay clock fancies doing the Atlantic to the Black Sea another option would be to cycle up the Rhine from the Hook of Holland to Schaffhausen, then go north to meet the Danube (the two rivers are surprisingly close at this point). Although I ended my journey in Budapest, you can carry on all the way to the Black Sea I believe.
I done both the direct Rhine-Danube crossing and the Rhine-Main-canal-Danube crossing.The second is lot shorter and flatter than the first from the Hook.

direct Rhine-Danube crossing

which is?

I was thinking Konstanz - Ulm

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
@albal that is GREAT. Food for thought, will have a read.

I am big on the ride being place to place. America is a possibility but I suspect it needs more time, so will be less likely.

R0016737.JPG

@albal Did you try the machine? - I was expecting it to be stale - but it was actually quite good :smile:

which is?

I was thinking Konstanz - Ulm
I roughly followed EV6, Konstanz - Tuttlingen, bar I went the long way around the lake from Konstanz before rejoining the route for the ~20 mile pull over the watershed.
I think the first gorge on the Danube after Tuttlingen is the best.

That way on my European rivers tour.
Home -> Rhine -> Rhone -> Canal de Midi -> Loire -> Rhine -> Danube -> Vltava -> Elbe -> Home.
A nice flat 5,000 mile figure 8 route around western europe.

I know lots of people like river routes but personally I find them pretty dull, we've done sections of quite a few and are always fed up with them after a few days.

I really think it depends on how samey they are - its often the lesser of two evils - The northern european plain can be worse - if you do as @Tigerbiten does and change your river regularly it can work

MarkF

Guru
I am thinking of UK Istanbul for next year but the Atlantic to the Black Sea sounds like a great trip and is firing my imagination, I have been taking the easy options (France/Spain) too often.

I also want to cross America, East to West and visit my elderly relatives in WA one more time before it's too late. I have criss crossed the USA on a motorbike and in rental cars, it's citizens (generally) are the most open and hospitable people I have met anywhere, I don't think they'll have changed recently............................if that trip was your ambition then I'd still go for it. I am 55 next and hope to do it next year, health permitting and relatives staying alive. :smile:

albal

Guru
@albal that is GREAT. Food for thought, will have a read.

I am big on the ride being place to place. America is a possibility but I suspect it needs more time, so will be less likely.
I am told the southern tier is not as scenic as the T/A, plus it passes through more major towns, the T/A went through Pueblo, CO with a population of 108,000. That was the most populated town we passed through. I,ll let you know how it goes for me. Should be a blog as usual.

Top Bottom