Dream Touring Choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Prior to Covid and Brexit (afetr being made reundant from my "real" job) we spent several years working winter seasons in the Alps, saving up, and spending the whole summer touring Europe. We got to Spain, France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Slovakia, Czechia, Netherlands. Brexit put a stop to the winter work, Covid interrupted travel, and both my wife and I have had cancer. I am looking at these posts now, and my old photos, and gaining inspiration for another big tour next year, when hopefully our health issues will be more stable.
My dream for next year has formed as ferry to Hook of Holland, down through Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, then Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and down to Albania. Then home over the Albanian mountains to inland Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Czechia, Germany and Netherlands to home.
It's a big dream, but I have worked out we should be able to do it with 90 days in Schengen being the only time constraint, the rest outside is in cheaper places so we can take our time.

Debade

Über Member
Having done the Scandinavia thing (found £10 slice of chocolate cake & my mum did find a £15 glass of beer in Oslo if that counts) and gone as far north as I can on mainland Europe & inlcuded the Lofoten Islands (fantastic), Kirkenes & Grense Jakovselv on the Barent's Sea, I would love to do any of the following:
  • Iceland
  • Kazakhstan & Mongolia
  • Tibet (pay for that cycling guide!)
  • Siberia has always taken my fancy, so may be across Russia?
  • Pamir Highway (to include Iran, Turkmenistan (pay for guide so can stay longer than 5 days), Afghanistan (again paying for a guide so it can happen), Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Krygyrstan (or some variation of that spelling),)
  • Alaska to 'the bottom' of South America.
It will be one of the bottom 2 that we do next. Same touring bikes, Thorn Nomad mk II's with Rohloff hubs. Same equipment including Hilleberg Nammatj tent, but I might treat myself to a newer camera if the finance was unlimited. Perhaps even make life easier and arrange for a support vehicle from time to time, so changing kit when the season changes can be a touch easier: it would also deal with the issues of obtaining medication periodically; the support crew could sort that for me! they could even do the laundry and free up that spare day for sightseeing rather than sitting in a tent with no clothes waiting for them to dry whilst I write up the journal!

Too bad we are moving east in a couple of weeks. We can have been your WS stay since you would nearly pass right by our house 😀

Top Bottom