Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
No nice dresses??

personally I could manage the outdoor clothes - but not exercise ones

and I certainly do not have a Hawaiian shirt
might be able to manage a suit - is that cocktail wear???

I purchased a Hawian shirt for our local parkrun anniversary celebration and coupled it with orange shorts and couple of garlands of flowers. Of course that was the day I took a tumble and ended up in A+E via ambulance. I certainly brightened the place up 😁

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I may develop a nasty rash the night before I leave for the airport....
Sounds like hell.

Team building? Do people still do that?

What's your Mission Statement? ;)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Nah, you're welcome

Used to run those team building days. Seen some of the stuff that can go wrong. From getting lost on the moor, turned right not left, to all out fights.

My boss went to one for the senior managers which had canoeing as the fun element. One of the less sporty of the group ended up in the water and and it got quite serious quite quickly. They were fished out unscathed but I gather it was quite iffy, and the IT director was in a panic about (a) how to rescue them, and (b) how on earth would he explain drowning one of his department heads.

In fairness was meant to be a fun bit of messing about in boats rather than a macho Deliverance style challenge, but it nearly went quite badly

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
It's been said that a lot of mechanics suffer things like testicular cancer because of the carcinogens on their mucky overalls.
Apparently that was common in the 19th. Century among workers in heavy industry, especially as effectively washing clothes then was a much more involved effort for t'other half. :dry:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It's been said that a lot of mechanics suffer things like testicular cancer because of the carcinogens on their mucky overalls.

It was also said that penile cancer was common among car mechanics who did not wash their hands before going to the loo. Nowadays they all wear disposable gloves when working [at least in my local garage they do ] and remove them before going.

Slick

Guru

Apparently that was common in the 19th. Century among workers in heavy industry, especially as effectively washing clothes then was a much more involved effort for t'other half. :dry:
I often think about the poor family members of the shipyard workers who died from asbestosis despite never stepping foot in a shipyard in their life. Took them years to either figure it out or admit that it was a thing. Terrible

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No nice dresses??

personally I could manage the outdoor clothes - but not exercise ones

and I certainly do not have a Hawaiian shirt
might be able to manage a suit - is that cocktail wear???

I've no idea. How many suitcases are people expected to pack for 2 days?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sounds like hell.

Team building? Do people still do that?

What's your Mission Statement? ;)

The joke is, that under one all encompassing banner we have very disparate business units that actually have little in common except for a market segment, so I don't see much 'team' building actually being necessary.
I don't know about our Mission Statement, but I do know that the major pillar of our R&D strategy this last 12 months has had absolutely bugger-all work done on it, which tells you all you need to know really. It's precisely for that and other similar reasons that I will not be going as I wouldn't be able to keep my gob-shut when my very low walled bullshit dam is breached by yet another major 'initiative'.....

It's precisely for that and other similar reasons that I will not be going as I wouldn't be able to keep my gob-shut when my very low walled bullshit dam is breached by yet another major 'initiative'.....

8d5z61.jpg

I used to teach is a 'difficult' secondary school - before the problems were worked out

Just before we went into Special Measures - which was fun - we had to had a department meeting to discuss out Motto and Mission statement

Ours was a fairy cynical depart (Technology) so it was met witha lot of eye rolling (maybe sorting out behaviour was more important??)

Anyway - after a few valiant attempt by the Department Head to get us on task I suggested a motto
"Abandon Hope all Ye Who Enter here"

It didn;t go down well

in a meeting of teachers I was the only one who knew where it came from

No idea what the motto ended up being

but I do remember the Head going beserk in a morning staff meeting at the start of the day during the inspection because the inspectors had asked quite a few teacher what the school Motto was
and not one of us knew

apparently it was on the school website - the IT technician knew because he had put it there - didn;t know anyone else who had even heard of it

anyway - end of story - carry on guys

Alex321

Veteran
I used to teach is a 'difficult' secondary school - before the problems were worked out

Just before we went into Special Measures - which was fun - we had to had a department meeting to discuss out Motto and Mission statement

Ours was a fairy cynical depart (Technology) so it was met witha lot of eye rolling (maybe sorting out behaviour was more important??)

Anyway - after a few valiant attempt by the Department Head to get us on task I suggested a motto
"Abandon Hope all Ye Who Enter here"

It didn;t go down well

in a meeting of teachers I was the only one who knew where it came from

No idea what the motto ended up being

but I do remember the Head going beserk in a morning staff meeting at the start of the day during the inspection because the inspectors had asked quite a few teacher what the school Motto was
and not one of us knew

apparently it was on the school website - the IT technician knew because he had put it there - didn;t know anyone else who had even heard of it

anyway - end of story - carry on guys

Our school motto was on the badge on our jackets - only available from a single supplier in the town.

The rather commonplace "Honi soit Qui Mal y Pense".

Just checked, and that is still the school motto, 45 years later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King's_School,_Grantham

Top Bottom