Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fred Dibnah had so much oil and grease on his famous cap that a colleague had quipped "what's the flash point of your hat?"
And his cap nearly killed him.

Dadam

Nowadays I have seen managers in casual wear like tee shirts.
Disgraceful.:sad:

At my employer the CEO wears jeans and a T shirt in the office. I'm all for it!

When the company that I worked for (pre dumping me on the scrap heap in 2001!!!) they went to a smart casual dress policy

which settled down to men wearing a shirt and reasonable trousers and women wearing stuff of similar smartness

funny thng was that some senior managers felt very insecure with all this

previously there had been a tendancy for senior managers to be easy to spot because
a) they were older
b) they wore very expensive looking suits (for the men!)

After the casual dress thing came in they all just went with it for a while
then some of them went back to their expensive suits and gradually the people working directly under (!) those managers did the same

clearly - some of them had to wear these suits if they were going to external meetings where this was the normal dress

but after a while it became easy to spot the senior managers because they were nearly all wore very smart suits

I'm sure a psychologist would have had a field day with them!

(the IT department - where I worked - were very happy with the whole casual idea
we were even allowed scruffy jeans and t-shirts if we were doing something that could get dirty
it was always annoying getting a fairly new suit covered in dust and mucky because we were not allowed to wear scruffy just because we were going to be mucking about under the floors or in the ceilings!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When the company that I worked for (pre dumping me on the scrap heap in 2001!!!) they went to a smart casual dress policy

which settled down to men wearing a shirt and reasonable trousers and women wearing stuff of similar smartness

funny thng was that some senior managers felt very insecure with all this

previously there had been a tendancy for senior managers to be easy to spot because
a) they were older
b) they wore very expensive looking suits (for the men!)

After the casual dress thing came in they all just went with it for a while
then some of them went back to their expensive suits and gradually the people working directly under (!) those managers did the same

clearly - some of them had to wear these suits if they were going to external meetings where this was the normal dress

but after a while it became easy to spot the senior managers because they were nearly all wore very smart suits

I'm sure a psychologist would have had a field day with them!

(the IT department - where I worked - were very happy with the whole casual idea
we were even allowed scruffy jeans and t-shirts if we were doing something that could get dirty
it was always annoying getting a fairly new suit covered in dust and mucky because we were not allowed to wear scruffy just because we were going to be mucking about under the floors or in the ceilings!

A pal of mine was an engineer for BT (Post office back in the day), said that when he started the foremen all wore bowler hats, and some of the more ambitious workers actually kept a bowler hat at work for when they were made "acting foreman" on occasion.

Drago

Legendary Member
I remember the hoo hah when I transferred from TVP to Northants dibble.

TVP hat combat style trousers with pockets midway down the thighs and they let me keep two pairs as they were a bit worn to be reissued.

Northants still had plain trousers in dark blue, not even black by then, and when I wore my TVP strides a fair few senior officer monocles used to fall out in astonishment.

I remember the hoo hah when I transferred from TVP to Northants dibble.

TVP hat combat style trousers with pockets midway down the thighs and they let me keep two pairs as they were a bit worn to be reissued.

Northants still had plain trousers in dark blue, not even black by then, and when I wore my TVP strides a fair few senior officer monocles used to fall out in astonishment.

Many many years ago - we are talking pre war here - my Grand-Dad was the local village bobby

He had to report to the nearest station at the start of his shift for "inspection" by - funnily enough - the Inspector

One day my Mum decided to help by ironing his trousers
she got them perfectly flat and straight - not a crease anywhere

except that she didn;t know much about men's trousers so she ironed them along the seams - so no crease down the middle of the leg!!!

apparently the Inspector stopped and looked at my Grand-dad who commented that his daughter had "helped"
Teh Inspector apparently smiled and carried on

I suspect a detailed ironing lesson occurred that evening
My Mum could certainly iron creases that could cut metal - I suspect it was from that one lesson!!

Little extra - when my friend became a bobby many years later he was gievn my Grand-Dad's truncheon as a mark of respect
It was highly polished and looked far better than the standard issue ones
My frind said he only ever used it on formal occasions where he needed one - apparently giving evidence was one of them

The reason that it was suspiciously heavy - with a soft metal bit at the bottom
There was a suspicion that it had had the centre drilled out and filled with lead!

which a serving copper could not be found in posession of while patrolling the local area!

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
A pal of mine was an engineer for BT (Post office back in the day), said that when he started the foremen all wore bowler hats, and some of the more ambitious workers actually kept a bowler hat at work for when they were made "acting foreman" on occasion.

Very true, when I became an apprentice engineer in 1963 all the foreman wore a Fedora type hat the workers wore Ascot type caps. We all knew our place.

Top Bottom