Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
We're aware that folk are dressing more and more casually nowadays, regardless of the occasion, but having returned from a few days in Tenerife, it does make us wonder where the line will be drawn, if at all.
We stayed in a four star hotel where all the staff were well turned out, friendly and efficient, particularly in the restaurant.; where the high service standards were of a level rarely seen in the UK now.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but at dinnertime / teatime / evening meal time; whatever you want to call it, I wear slacks, shoes and a polo shirt; I see it as a mark of respect to the management and staff. :okay:
However, it was noticeable how many men came in wearing a t - shirt, baggy shorts and flip flops.
Yes, you can say 'Well, I'm on holiday, why should I dress up - ?', but this is somewhat contradicted by their ladies who often wore a frock, dress or similar smart outfit for the evening, making the contrast even more obvious. :dry:
As most of the guests were British, it wasn't a case of 'guess the nationality'. :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
I always slip on a fresh pair of Y fronts for dinner. Well, by "fresh" I mean manufactured in 1975 and given a quick spray of Febreze in 2007.

markemark

Über Member
Unless there are specific rules it is of no concern to anyone else what I wear when I go to restaurants, shops, theatre, cycling, pogo stick competitions, Status Quo tribute nights, microwave fixing courses.

People have their own style, etiquette, budget, requirements.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Along with never having washed a car, another of my "never seen star wars" thing is I've never worn a DJ.

As to eating in hotels, I just wear what I'm wearing for the day. As I don't wear shorts, T-shirts or flip flops I should pass the @simongt test :smile:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Being of a 'certain age' I am in favour of a certain standard** when dining eg hotels.
**no idea what that standard should be as they are quickly changing.
I refused to go on a cruise that demanded dinner suits etc.
Short story.
Majorca about 5 years ago. 4 star hotel. I went to dinner in dress shorts and smart shirt. AFTER we had finished the restaurant manager pointed out the 'long trouser' requirements. He was polite, I was not offended and duly stuck to the requirements.

Being less flippant than my earlier post, you do notice folk in Spain and Italy for example making an effort for dinner, so I tend to smarten up as well as it shows a bit of respect?

Top Bottom