Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I assume you borrow them off Accy ?

Assuming @Accy cyclist is 6ft 4ins i might well put a request in :laugh:

However, it was noticeable how many men came in wearing a t - shirt, baggy shorts and flip flops.
Yes, you can say 'Well, I'm on holiday, why should I dress up - ?', but this is somewhat contradicted by their ladies who often wore a frock, dress or similar smart outfit for the evening, making the contrast even more obvious. :dry:
As most of the guests were British, it wasn't a case of 'guess the nationality'. :whistle:

Many years ago, about 1991, I was on holiday in Majorca and all men had to wear trousers for dinner (or at least have covered legs) to eat in the hotel restaurant, luckily my dad had some tracksuit bottoms with him otherwise we'd have been sneaking food out to him.

At a recent stay in Cyprus (Pathos, lovely would recommend) I think most people dressed nicely for dinner.

I like dressing nicely for dinner, especially when on holiday as it makes it more special. The only bar I'd be happy sat in flops and a vest would be a beach front casual bar, or any bar in Australia! :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As you call trousers 'slacks' @simongt I suspect you're a similar age group to myself.
I just couldn't slum around in shorts, sandals and T shirt for dinner in a hotel, no matter what the other guests wore.
Something perhaps to do with upbringing ? I don't know, but I just wouldn't feel right or comfortable. Nothing to do with portraying an image though.
Women usually like to dress up so if you're with a partner (male or female) it's good and right to compliment them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Watching the snooker last night, I noticed Ronnie appeared to be wearing trainers.
What's the world coming to?
It's coming to people like Ronnie.

Slick

Guru
We're aware that folk are dressing more and more casually nowadays, regardless of the occasion, but having returned from a few days in Tenerife, it does make us wonder where the line will be drawn, if at all.
We stayed in a four star hotel where all the staff were well turned out, friendly and efficient, particularly in the restaurant.; where the high service standards were of a level rarely seen in the UK now.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but at dinnertime / teatime / evening meal time; whatever you want to call it, I wear slacks, shoes and a polo shirt; I see it as a mark of respect to the management and staff. :okay:
However, it was noticeable how many men came in wearing a t - shirt, baggy shorts and flip flops.
Yes, you can say 'Well, I'm on holiday, why should I dress up - ?', but this is somewhat contradicted by their ladies who often wore a frock, dress or similar smart outfit for the evening, making the contrast even more obvious. :dry:
As most of the guests were British, it wasn't a case of 'guess the nationality'. :whistle:
I tend to agree and Mrs Slick hates it.

One of the worst examples was on an American cruise ship, it was like an episode from my name is Earl.

The problem is, when you go 5 star people do tend to dress a bit more, but for me it can get a bit soulless, especially in the piano bar, but Mrs Slick isn't much of a night owl so doesn't really mind that.

I usually end up in the Gin bar with some old lush, putting the world to rights. :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
I tend to agree and Mrs Slick hates it.

One of the worst examples was on an American cruise ship, it was like an episode from my name is Earl.

The problem is, when you go 5 star people do tend to dress a bit more, but for me it can get a bit soulless, especially in the piano bar, but Mrs Slick isn't much of a night owl so doesn't really mind that.

I usually end up in the Gin bar with some old lush, putting the world to rights. :laugh:

Only been on a cruise once, the mandatory dressing up to eat a very mediocre meal was unbelievably irritating.

Slick

Guru
Only been on a cruise once, the mandatory dressing up to eat a very mediocre meal was unbelievably irritating.

The cruise we did had everything from chicken nougats to alacarte with just about everything in between.

When eating at the captains table, I would hardly expect to see shorts and flip flops, but they were there, and I think dressing up for a nice dinner is half the fun for Mrs Slick.

Horses for courses.

Gunk

Guru
Here in Oxford, dining is just far more casual. We met some friends for dinner in the city earlier this year in a very good restaurant and he his wife arrived both massively overdressed, they really stood out.

Sharky

Guru
I do remember going to a "nightclub" in the 70's and ties were mandatory.
Think it was the "Cat's Wiskers" in streatham - had a revolving bar.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the subject of wearing shorts for dinner, a friend of mine once asked if I wore shorts when having a meal. At the time I was wearing a pair of 'dressy' cream shorts, made out of a gaberdine material and with pleats and cuffs/turn ups. I said "Yes, but only if they're tidy like these". He wouldn't have it saying I was a scruff and if he owned a restaurant he wouldn't let me dine/eat there! I took the bait, replying "I think I have decent slim cyclist legs, so what's the problem"? "The last time I saw legs like yours they were Queen Anne ones, holding up a grand piano"!:whistle:

Top Bottom