Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Now she hadn't cycled to this bistro, which might've been slightly acceptable, but no she'd driven there after her bike ride, without showering and changing into clothing suitable for our surroundings. To add to the angst she'd even placed her cycling helmet and gloves on our booked table,
I have to ask, so she drove there and brought her helmet and gloves to put on the table, why ? did she want to appear as if she had ridden there ?

It does annoy me when I go on holiday and only when I get there I find there is a dress policy

I have no objections to a smart(ish) dress policy for evening meal - as long as it is made clear BEFORE people book

Worst case was the poshest hotel we have been to
The dress policy insisted on closed shoes for men in the evening - but the only shoes I had with me were trainers for the journey and a variety of sandals - including some smart ones
so it was trainers for evening meal every night when my sandals would have been smarter

I have also know people go to very hot places and find a "long trousers" policy - so end up wearing jeans

Personally I like to dress better for eating out - it makes it seem more special and different but on holiday they should really specify it!

I does amuse me that you go on holiday in the evening you see all (or nearly all) the women have dressed up and spent time on their hair etc
and they are with a bloke who is looking like he just walked off the beach

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have to ask, so she drove there and brought her helmet and gloves to put on the table, why ? did she want to appear as if she had ridden there ?

Good question. Why didn't she just leave the helmet and gloves in her car, or even more to the point, why not just leave them at home?🤔 You've got me thinking now that she brought them with her to deliberately put them on the table, knowing it'd annoy me immensely!!🤔

When I wore a suit for work every day then it made going out to posh restaurants a bit less special

because I was just wearing the same old clothes I would wear for work - all day every day

If I had 2 suits at the time - normally if one was nearly end-of-life - then I would save it for special occaisions and wear a nicer shirt

but it was nicer to only wear a suit when it was a special occaision as it made it seem more special

Same applies not - I wear jeans most days - and when we go out for a meal in a restaurant I try to wear proper trousers and a decent shirt
even a tie if it is really posh!

putting all that together - yes standards have slipped - I have gone from full suit for special occasions to a good casual shirt

Slick

Guru
Watching the snooker last night, I noticed Ronnie appeared to be wearing trainers.
What's the world coming to?

Watching now and they showed a cracking wee highlights reel of previous classic finals. I forgot large swathes of the crowd were dressed in black tie, so it really is changed days.

Drago

Legendary Member
It does annoy me when I go on holiday and only when I get there I find there is a dress policy

This is true. I discovered the hard way that the French favour pyjama bottoms and a string vest when venturing down for their breakfast croissants and beer.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used to drink in 'The Four Seasons Motel'* in Narborough (many years ago) and once got talking to a bloke at the bar who said "how can you come in here so scruffy" I was wearing Wrangler jeans, a T shirt, my bike leather and Cowboy boots whilst he had on a polyester C&A suit with a nylon shirt and nondescript tie, after a while we compared prices and it turned out I'd paid 4-5 times what he had for my attire with him saying "You can get a suit for £40" I told him my jeans cost more than that and my bike jacket was over £200, he looked shocked.

* The 'Motel' was just around the corner from my house and because it operated under a hotel drinks licence it didn't shut at 2pm like pubs did back then and as for closing at 11pm like pubs did I've staggered out of there at 1 or 2 in the morning more times than I can remember. There were quite a few of 'locals' got in there but a lot were put off by the slightly 'Crossroads' decor but the Landlord (Fred) and his wife quite liked us cos we always took empty bottles and glasses back to the bar when buying a fresh un

tyred

Legendary Member
I cant understand the appeal of polo shirts, most people I've seen in them have been either working behind counters, so workwear or children wearing them for PE or for Primary School.

My office dress code is a shirt with a collar. It's the only reason I've ever worn polo shirts.

I've been working at home since the pandemic but the polo shirts languish unused at the bottom of a drawer;just in case I have reason to go into the office some day

Gunk

Guru
When I wore a suit for work every day then it made going out to posh restaurants a bit less special

that‘s also my problem, I wear a suit and tie for work every day and as I feel I need to set an example, every Sunday I polish my shoes for the week ahead, so when I want to relax it’s jeans, deck shoes and a t shirt. The last thing I want to do is go out for a meal as if I’m dressed for work!

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't dine out very often, but I always at least try to look presentable and make an effort if I'm going out.

On my weekend cycle touring on Islay in September, I toyed with the idea of going to Church, not because I'm religious but because as an Ulster Presbyterian, I am curious how the Church of Scotland differs. I didn't, as I didn't feel I had any suitable clothes with me. I was brought up to always dress well for church.

Top Bottom