Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many years ago, about 1991, I was on holiday in Majorca and all men had to wear trousers for dinner (or at least have covered legs) to eat in the hotel restaurant, luckily my dad had some tracksuit bottoms with him otherwise we'd have been sneaking food out to him.

At a recent stay in Cyprus (Pathos, lovely would recommend) I think most people dressed nicely for dinner.

I like dressing nicely for dinner, especially when on holiday as it makes it more special. The only bar I'd be happy sat in flops and a vest would be a beach front casual bar, or any bar in Australia! :whistle:

Hey, we do have a dress code in Aussie pubs, no singlets (vests) and thongs (flip flops) after 6pm!

I have to ask, so she drove there and brought her helmet and gloves to put on the table, why ? did she want to appear as if she had ridden there ?

You beat me to it!

Slick

Guru
I don't dine out very often, but I always at least try to look presentable and make an effort if I'm going out.

On my weekend cycle touring on Islay in September, I toyed with the idea of going to Church, not because I'm religious but because as an Ulster Presbyterian, I am curious how the Church of Scotland differs. I didn't, as I didn't feel I had any suitable clothes with me. I was brought up to always dress well for church.
They would have welcomed you dressed in a sack cloth on Islay.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Its a bit of a joke dressing for dinner on cruise ships considering the kitchens are crawling with cockroaches and mice etc. I've two friends who worked on the cruise ships for years. One as a hairdresser the other as a photographer and they say the same things.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Its a bit of a joke dressing for dinner on cruise ships considering the kitchens are crawling with cockroaches and mice etc
This is why I'm very reluctant to eat in any restaurants and cafes. Oh and being a tight wad doesn't help. :rolleyes: Why buy something, when you can make it yourself for a lot less, and not have to wonder what might've fallen into it.:unsure: I've worked in restaurant and hotel kitchens and seen some dirty practices going on. The plates, pots etc, washer bloke in one place used to eat food off brought back plates ( I saw him eat some tuna steak with teeth marks in xx() and one chef sweated so much that when his cotton chef hat had soaked up as much sweat as it could, the sweat started to drip from his forehead onto food being plated up!:ohmy:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some years ago I played in a golf comp at a very upmarket place.
At the lounge bar one guy was wearing an ultra casual rugby shirt (big green and white stripes) and he was refused because he wasn't wearing a tie.
The barman loaned him one which he immediately put on over the rugby shirt. He was then served.
At the opposite end of the scale....
A golf club near me has a strict dress policy. One visitor wore a dress shirt but no tie. He was refused but the barman loaned him one which he then went to put on......this was not allowed. He had to go outside to put the tie on and was then allowed in and served.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hey, we do have a dress code in Aussie pubs, no singlets (vests) and thongs (flip flops) after 6pm!

What...? You can't wear formal Aussie business attire after 6pm?!

Alex321

Veteran
Almost every hotel we have been to in the last 10 years has had stated rules that men must wear long trousers and a shirt to dinner.

Lunch and breakfast have just been "no swimwear".

Alex321

Veteran
If you ever watch Andre Walker on Talk TV you'll see total slovenliness. He wears wedding style satin bow ties and matching pocket squares and waistcoats.:stop: Last night while wearing such garbs he lifted his foot to show chavvy trainers, then after taking one 'shoe' off he revealed a sock with large holes in! Not only this, but he also talks about his bowel movements, like it's funny...which it definitely isn't!!:thumbsdown:

Why would anyone watch Talk TV?

Alex321

Veteran
I must say that I was sadly disappointed when I got there to see her dressed in cycling gear. Now she hadn't cycled to this bistro, which might've been slightly acceptable, but no she'd driven there after her bike ride, without showering and changing into clothing suitable for our surroundings. To add to the angst she'd even placed her cycling helmet and gloves on our booked table, making it difficult for the waitress to place our plates of food!

This sounds like she had been running (Cycling) late, so just jumped in the car to come to the bistro without even taking off her helmet. Otherwise, there is no reason she would have brought the helmet & gloves in with her - they almost certainly wouldn't even have been in the car, never mind still on her person, unless she had driven somewhere to ride and hadn't gone home in between.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is why I'm very reluctant to eat in any restaurants and cafes. Oh and being a tight wad doesn't help. :rolleyes: Why buy something, when you can make it yourself for a lot less, and not have to wonder what might've fallen into it.:unsure: I've worked in restaurant and hotel kitchens and seen some dirty practices going on. The plates, pots etc, washer bloke in one place used to eat food off brought back plates ( I saw him eat some tuna steak with teeth marks in xx() and one chef sweated so much that when his cotton chef hat had soaked up as much sweat as it could, the sweat started to drip from his forehead onto food being plated up!:ohmy:

My experience of restaurant work was quite amusing. I worked in a county hotel that was a big old house that had recently been renovated. The guy who did the renovation ran the hotel and was the host. Problem was he was a never right for the part. He was obviously just a hulking great Welsh builder in a suit. The kitchen was run by his incredibly camp son. I worked the bar and took orders, the boss' daughter was waitress. I also didn't have a clue what I was doing so I compensated by being excessively polite to everyone. I had a No 2. haircut at the time.

It was a sitcom in the making, clumsy gorilla in a suit doing meet and greet. Obsequious skinhead taking the orders, and camp chef mincing around creating a scene in the kitchen, sulky teen serving the food.

Top Bottom