Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As to what other people wear in restaurants/hotels - I'm not interested. As long as they keep quiet and don't bother me.

Gunk

Guru
I personally couldn’t care less what people wear for dinner, a restaurant with a strict dress code would be the last place we would want to go to. The more casual the better, in fact some of the best meals we have eaten out have been at very laid back and relaxed restaurants.

bobzmyunkle

Watching the snooker last night, I noticed Ronnie appeared to be wearing trainers.
What's the world coming to?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I see it as a mark of respect to the management and staff. :okay:
However, it was noticeable how many men came in wearing a t - shirt, baggy shorts and flip flops.
I agree about the respect bit, but unfortunately such sentiment goes without notice these days. I always try to dress my best for the odd 'outing' involving nibbles or drinks. However, I look around me and see folk who just don't give a damn, or are just incapable of achieving certain standards. For example, the other week I met a friend for a drink and a bit to eat in a not too far away quite 'posh' bistro. I must say that I was sadly disappointed when I got there to see her dressed in cycling gear. Now she hadn't cycled to this bistro, which might've been slightly acceptable, but no she'd driven there after her bike ride, without showering and changing into clothing suitable for our surroundings. To add to the angst she'd even placed her cycling helmet and gloves on our booked table, making it difficult for the waitress to place our plates of food! :ohmy: I found this very bad mannered, so when she went to powder her nose I pushed the helmet and gloves off the table, onto the floor with my walking stick. When she got back she didn't say anything, but you could tell she wasn't pleased. Imagine going to such a place and treating it as if it was a greasy spoon!:headshake:As for those who wear flop flops away from a beach, swimming pool etc, I find this totally disrespectful to everyone around them!!🧐

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Watching the snooker last night, I noticed Ronnie appeared to be wearing trainers.
What's the world coming to?

If you ever watch Andre Walker on Talk TV you'll see total slovenliness. He wears wedding style satin bow ties and matching pocket squares and waistcoats.:stop: Last night while wearing such garbs he lifted his foot to show chavvy trainers, then after taking one 'shoe' off he revealed a sock with large holes in! Not only this, but he also talks about his bowel movements, like it's funny...which it definitely isn't!!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think the main issue is how you conduct yourself and treat people regarding showing respect, not what clothes you wear. As long as you are not wearing anything inappropriate I don't see what the issue is.
I also don't think anyone could call a polo shirt making an effort, its a t shirt with a flimsy collar on.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Our works Christmas dinner* is next week. The Italian restaurant have a smart casual dress policy. Wonder if I could get away with Lycra and being all musty. It’s in the city centre and will cost £9 for car parking. A bicycle parks free.

* we always have ours in January as one gets more choice on venue and better value for money.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Four star holiday hotel I'd probably pack a couple of evening shirts, a pair of nice trousers, maybe a jacket if I felt a bit swanky but obviously luggage space is limited. Probably just button down Ben Sherman shirts or similar, nothing too formal. I'm not sure what slacks are (similar to chinos?) but I wouldn't consider a polo shirt 'dressing for dinner'. Casual end of smart casual maybe? Hotel will have a dress code if they're that bothered and maybe formal and informal dining areas.

Top Bottom