Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
In the good old days even the men in overalls wore ties.

There was an old joiner/all-round handyman around when I was growing up who always wore a vee-neck jumper with a tie. On hot days, if he took off his jumper, you realised he had cut the tie just about an inch below where the V of the jumper was. Presumably, so it wouldn't catch in any machines.

He cut quite a dash with his jumper and tie, Buddy Holly specs, flat cap, a pencil behind one ear and a half-smoked Player's Navy Cut behind the other.

There was an old joiner/all-round handyman around when I was growing up who always wore a vee-neck jumper with a tie. On hot days, if he took off his jumper, you realised he had cut the tie just about an inch below where the V of the jumper was. Presumably, so it wouldn't catch in any machines.

He cut quite a dash with his jumper and tie, Buddy Holly specs, flat cap, a pencil behind one ear and a half-smoked Player's Navy Cut behind the other.

That's nice - everyone has a teenage crush. Beats mooning over pop-stars or bikers :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We have a 2 day team conference coming-up. It was supposed to be in sunny climes, but that was cancelled due to costs. I have just seen the 'Dress code' for the event...
Arrival evening: 'Sunnyplacewerenotgoing' themed night - Hawaiian shirts, summer dresses, bright clothes etc...shades of Club Tropicana....
Night 2: Gala dinner - cocktail wear
Final day: Outdoor team building exercise - warm outdoor exercise clothes.
FFS.
I may develop a nasty rash the night before I leave for the airport....

stephec

Legendary Member
We have a 2 day team conference coming-up. It was supposed to be in sunny climes, but that was cancelled due to costs. I have just seen the 'Dress code' for the event...
Arrival evening: 'Sunnyplacewerenotgoing' themed night - Hawaiian shirts, summer dresses, bright clothes etc...shades of Club Tropicana....
FFS.

I'm developing a nasty rash just reading that.

stephec

Legendary Member
Anyone want to go in my place?

Is there a free bar?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Very true, when I became an apprentice engineer in 1963 all the foreman wore a Fedora type hat the workers wore Ascot type caps. We all knew our place.
My first full time job after leaving school in 1977 was an apprentice painter and decorator with a local brewery's maintenance department. Two blokes who worked together on each pub were seen as the snobs of the painting department. One always wore a trilby hat, shirt and tie and kept his wallpaper brush, seam roller etc in a brown leather briefcase. The other had hair like Beethoven, wore a bow tie and played classical piano. He played it very well, as I heard him on one pub's old tap room piano. They were ok and liked me as I always called them Mr and not by their first names, like the other 'disrespectful' to them apprentices. Also, I never complained about going for their chip shop/pie shop dinners, or making their brews as to me it was a fair skive away from totally boring painting and decorating.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was half remembering that too. Didn't all the filthy industrial solvents in his cap cause some horrible skin infection, maybe septicaemia or cancer even?

Yesterday I saw a car body paint sprayer/ oil based under seal sprayer stuff friend wearing his must've worn it for 15 years I know of, safety bob cap. Every time I see him in it I do wonder if he ever washed it, what colour the water would be. 🤔 No matter how much washing powder you threw at it, it'd most likely still be filthy looking. That cap must be covered in dodgy substances. :unsure:

Last edited:
FFS.

No nice dresses??

personally I could manage the outdoor clothes - but not exercise ones

and I certainly do not have a Hawaiian shirt
might be able to manage a suit - is that cocktail wear???

Top Bottom