Dressing for Dinner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
As you call trousers 'slacks' @simongt I suspect you're a similar age group to myself.
Probably. In a previous 'life of higher standards' trousers were the bottom half of a suit and slacks were worn with either a sports jacket or blazer. But if you were a posh nob, then you wore 'cavalry slacks' with a Harris Tweed jacket - ! :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Most of all because it's not particularly accurate! I've been to a few around my neck of the woods which are in really cool old buildings, very clean with tasty food and excellent value.

I agree. They aren't "fine dining", but are clean and tidy, and serve decent wholesome food at an extremely reasonable price. It's not as if it's poor quality reheated processed stuff as it's a couple of slices off a freshly cooked roast joint, with plenty of vegetables. What's not to like?

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

The late and much missed Jeremy Hardy made a quip about Harvesters. As part of the order taking they ask if you've been to a Harvester before as their system is a bit of a rigmarole, "It's not as if anyone would go a second time" Hardy was as far from being a snob as it's possible to get, but like him, I've never gone again either.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I take my fashion tips from a fashion icon

R (13).jpeg

Slick

Guru
I take my fashion tips from a fashion icon

View attachment 719085

Rab was a bam, Jamsey was the fashion icon the way he effortlessly paired gym shoes and sport socks with his best suit. :becool:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I tell you what I don't stand - business people wearing a suit without a tie. Why not just wear jeans and a T shirt and be done with it if that's their attitude?

It took me a long while to get used to the suit and no tie look and I was never really comfortable with it. Kind of OK with a semi casual linen suit or my tweed "shooting" suit (I don't shoot but it was sold as such) which I wore to work and got married in (with tie for my wedding obviously). No tie just looks odd in my very smart business pin stripe which I rarely wore, as with a tie it was just too formal for my later years working, and being a pin stripe isn't even suitable for funerals. I bought it at the tail end of the tie era, and even ordered extra trousers to extend its life !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ties are OK if your shirt collar is the right size. For decades I (grudgingly) acquired a tiny collection of smart shirts but never acknowledged that my neck size was creeping up. The net result was that I suffered unimaginable torture on the extremely rare occasions when a tie was required.

Size matters.

They shrink in the cupboard over time. Even leather shrinks. When I got another motorbike after a 20 year lay off my leathers were far too tight.

Top Bottom